Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   My turn...finally (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/my-turn-finally-7031.html)

KraemerBAC 06-17-2009 08:27 AM

My turn...finally

Well as many of us do I have been lurking around sucking up as much information as I could before starting my own WFO. I have been a shameless pack rat collecting cinder block from around the college campus I work on; the college kids leave them behind every year and I have collected enough to build my stand. I have been surfing craigslist and have gotten my first 125 firebrick ( brand new ) for a buck apiece and I am in contact with a guy who is taking down a chimney to hopefully secure the rest of my firebrick. The wife has finally approved the placement in "her" yard and I have it staked out. I am going to start digging today as long as the rain holds off. Pictures and more to come soon. Glad to be here....finally

Peter

dbhansen 06-17-2009 08:54 AM

Re: My turn...finally

Congrats, Peter! Sounds like a great way to collect blocks, and nice find on the firebrick.

DrakeRemoray 06-17-2009 09:59 AM

Congratulations! Start up some pictures showing us the yard and where the oven will be!
Drake

KraemerBAC 06-17-2009 12:34 PM

I will get some taken later today and get them posted. Thanks for the encouragement

Peter

ThisOldGarageNJ 06-17-2009 03:59 PM

one of the best parts of building your own WFO is looking at all the pics as your going and when your done.... i posted mine here and on facebook, so many people, even non builders seem to really enjoy watching the oven preogress....

KraemerBAC 06-17-2009 05:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few photos of the intended location...notice the lovely tower of fire brick in the back.

KraemerBAC 06-18-2009 06:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A rototiller, an axe, a couple shovels, a wheelbarrow, a friend and 5 hrs...Even in Wisconsin working in the sun is hot thirsty work. We almost have it finished though. On a separate note, I have secured what I hope will be the remainder of my firebrick. I found a guy on craigslist who is taking out a wood stove and he had used dry stacked firebrick for the backing. Approx 80 full bricks and 100 half bricks plus as many red bricks as I can carry for $125 I just need to head to west Chicago and they are mine. I keep getting closer.

Peter

KraemerBAC 06-20-2009 09:34 AM

Boy did it rain yesterday and the night before. Now I either need to make sure to tarp the hole or get a pig. What a mess it is going to need a day to dry out and then I can continue on my merry way.

KraemerBAC 06-22-2009 02:56 PM

Turns out the wet hole was a good thing...It seemed to stratify the soil somewhat and layered out the clay that was in the soil so I was able to skim off the topcoat of clay leaving behind a nice gravel/sand soil; mix which will drain well.

Peter

jrparks 06-22-2009 03:43 PM

Looking forward to seen you WFO progress. Good Luck!
Cheers,