Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: My turn...finally

Hey Tim...

I do agree that some training of friends and neighbors should begin, the kids help out some but tey are messy and take too long to dress the pizza and it sticks to the peel.... I have only really charred a couple!

Once I get the door going I will get some pictures up. I have started on the framing for he enclosure and if the rain will stop I can get some pictures of that up too

Later,

Peter
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Apprentice

Hello all,

Been a while since I have been on the forum but I have made some progress... Not on the door however. I am having fun with the framing and finally remembered to take a few pictures. As always, thanks for the advice and encouragement

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
My turn...finally-img_7762.jpg   My turn...finally-img_7761.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Apprentice

It seems, for now my focus has shifted to restocking my wood supply, I have been playing lumkberjack in the woods of a friend. She has 80 acres or so of primarily oak and hickory. I have been working on one rather large oak and will probably need at least 5 more trips to get it all....I have been mixing hickory in to ensure a good mix of slow burning and slightly faster burning plus the hickory is relatively dry in comparison so I may be able to use some of it this year. Gots to have lots of wood.... Should also have framing and door done before the snow flies.

Peter
Old 11-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Apprentice

How's it going? Any progress on the enclosure or door? You are right about the wood....need lots of it!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Journeyman

Hi Peter,
I am interested in how far back from the front edge of the stand you have placed the oven. How deep of a landing is it? And why did you pick that distance?
Thanks
John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Apprentice

John,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you..I would need to measure it to be accurate but I believe it is about 14". I am not sure any thought actually went into that measurement. I made sure I had clearance on the backside for framing, If I had to do it over I would have moved it forward about 4" to give me some extra room in the back...My insulation is pretty tight up to the framing

Peter
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the info on the landing Peter, that will be a big help for my final design. You mention your insulation clearance is tight. How thick do you have your insulation? I don't want to skimp on insulation for sure!
Thanks Again!
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Apprentice

John,

Along the back framing a single layer of 1'blanket is tight against the studs for about a foot off the deck..opens up as the oven curves..otherwise I am planning on 3 layers eventually. I have one blanket on and another still waiting to be placed. Where the blanket is tight along the rear studs I am planning on back-filling with loose vermiculite although at peak firing temps the single layer of blanket has only maxed out at about 140 or so

Peter
Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Apprentice

Greetings all...I have made some progress on the enclosure but have been way too slow posting!! Here are some pics of the door I put together to get the ball re-rolling as it were. 18 gauge stainless with a 2 inch "shelf" two layers of blanket and pulled together with 1/2 inch cement board. More to follow soon, I need to remember to take pictures

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
My turn...finally-img_7945.jpg   My turn...finally-img_7947.jpg   My turn...finally-img_7946.jpg  
Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Apprentice

Roof is going up.. I have chosen to do things slightly differently, rather than buliding trusses I have built roof panels to which i have attatched the cement board soffits to, then with a flip and some setting I have all the roof framing for one side. Currently only one side up, I am working on attatching the board to the other sid right now. once it is up I will cut the holes for the lights get them wired up and attatch the roofing