Old 12-04-2009, 04:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Mr Gs Aussie Castable oven.

Mr G,
The fibres in the castable refractory don't actually add any strength at all. They are designed to burn out at around 160 C leaving minute "pipes" in the castable which water can find its way to and then travel to the outside. It reduces the incidence of steam explosions and cracking. If you want to increase its strength you need to add stainless steel needles (about 2% by weight)
Old 12-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Laborer

HI David, thanks for that. Do you know what the fibres are made of?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Journeyman

Fibres are made from Polypropalene Mr G.This is ,as you would know ,"plastic" so it burns out at a low'ish temp.

Last edited by Johnny the oven man; 12-06-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Laborer

Just an update on my castable oven :

I set the vermiculite based of about 1.5" plus two layers of 1" cal-sil board.
I then put the oven together insulated it and tried a small test fire. There are two layers of ceramic blanket and in the end there should be around 2" of vermiculite. All seems fine so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Mr Gs Aussie Castable oven.-dsc_6697.jpg   Mr Gs Aussie Castable oven.-dsc_6695.jpg   Mr Gs Aussie Castable oven.-dsc_6711.jpg  

Last edited by mr g; 12-07-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Add photos.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Serf

Mr. G
Thanks for the info! I am hoping to get started on my oven in a couple of weeks. I am going to cast the oven first, then mount it to a trailer later. If anyone else has any experience with castable WFO on a trailer and would be willing to and any input I would very much appreciate it! I do landscaping and usually get a odd job in the winter when everything is frozen here, but no one has any work so I going to build a WFO trailer instead!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Laborer

Good luck ecoscapes, keep us updated and post any photos you have.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Serf

Mr G.

How have the ovens been doing?? I plan to do almost the exact thing that you have done, thank goodness I found this site!!! I have found a Harbison-Walker distributor that has everything that I need for a very reasonable cost. What castable did you use??

Also, what is the I.D. of your oven and how high are the walls/dome peak? Did you choose to angle the sides slightly inward to closely resemble the soldier course on a brick oven and allow less turbulance?

Did you strictly follow the curing process or did you find that simply lighting gradual fires until your were comfortable "letting all hell break loose" was suffcient?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks! Jason
Old 12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Laborer

Hi Jason, don't apologise for questions, we love them !!

The ovens have been doing well although we still haven't got a lot of data on their performance. My beach house oven is still at the stage of curing fires. I'm not there every weekend so I still haven't been able to cook in it yet although there might be some action this Sunday. One of my friends has had his one firing so hot that the floor tiles were glowing red and the oven held up beautifully. The refractory concrete we used is Vesuvius brand. I can get specifics for you if you need but I'm not sure of it's availabilty overseas.

The Internal diameter of the oven is 1000 mm and the height once the floor tiles have been laid down is 450 mm. The side walls are approx. 300 mm high. I made the walls straight rather than curved like a pure dome so that there is more room for things like roasting trays and the like. I wish I could say that it had to do with turblence and heating efficiency and so on but I just liked that shape. The design was a comprimise between a typical Tuscan oven and the Pompeii.

As for the curing process I got the feeling that following the strict method was going to be impossible for me and it may also a way for the refractory producer to cover themselves in case of product failure so I just used the "slowly increasing fire method". So far so good.

Good luck with your build.

Regards,
Mr G.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't rush the curing. You can try the gas burner method which is much easier and ramps the temp up slowly and evenly. A 24 Hr burn with my burner takes the temp up evenly to 250 C then I go to wood fire for last two days to get to 400 C
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Laborer

Yep, I've got a gas burner. I'll try that method - sounds safer.
Should I see any steam or condensation on the outside of the dome?
Thanks.