Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Serf

Default Re: Mobile oven design Buoy...HELP

Thanks guys for the comments, it helps keep me thinking about new ways to make this work.

My initial plan was to lay down the FB insulation board between the fire brick and the steel deck. The insulation board MSDS states that it will reduce 800F to 170F. If this is not the case I assume I'll have a serious problem.

As far as the dome is concerned, I thought seriously about a traditional brick dome for a long time but everyone I asked in the Alan Scott camp advised that mobile and brick domes do not get along. The bouncing and bumps of the trailer end up causing serious damage the the dome. I do not want to deal with this. We will be using this oven as a tool for a professional catering company. So my plan is to finish the deck. Tack weld the dome back into place at a few joints so as to keep it in place but also reduce its ability to transfer excess heat into the trailer directly through the steel parts. THEN...

foil the dome (to create a slip layer) and add 2-3 inches of refractory heat for thermal layer. I understand the steel dome itself will not cook great pizza. Then basically follow Wiley's steps with insulation blanket, rebar, chicken wire, finish with stucco.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Mobile oven design Buoy...HELP

Quote:
mobile and brick domes do not get along
This is correct. Most successful mobile ovens for catering use modular ovens: fewer pieces means fewer problems.
Quote:
FB insulation board between the fire brick and the steel deck. The insulation board MSDS states that it will reduce 800F to 170F
This too is correct. My concern is that your brick floor is butting up against the steel ring without any insulation between the two. Heat travels sideways, not just up and down.
Quote:
Tack weld the dome back into place at a few joints so as to keep it in place but also reduce its ability to transfer excess heat into the trailer directly through the steel parts.
I think any metal to metal contact is going to kill you as far as heat transfer.

Your oven, no matter what it's made from needs to completely isolated from your metal support structure. Think about your oven enveloped in insulation, with no direct contact. safety issues aside, you're going to have to haul a second trailer for firewood.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
buoy, mobile, tandem