Old 06-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Serf

Default Re: Measuring your Hearth

I am new to all of this and have just laid the first course for a 1 metre internal floor oven. I have picked up bits and pieces of info from you guys on-line. I am doing the door 12'' high by 20'' wide with an internal dome height to be about 20'', does that sound about right.I understand the door heigth is to be no more that 60% of the dome height otherwise the fire won't draw properly. I have laid the 1st course bricks normal side down and then laying half bricks on top, it that correct? One of the things that worries me is the construction of the chimney (the oven is outside). Any help would be most appreciated. cheers... Mulga
Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Apprentice

Hi Mugla,

Did you get any responses? I am building a 1 meter interior oven as well and your door height and width are about what I have been planning as well. How far along are you?

Rick
Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Serf

I am about to put on the final waterproof render. When everyone says you need lots of thermal insulation, they are right, you cannot have enough. If possible use refractory motar, I didn't and wish I did now.
After I finshed the brickwork, the dome stayed intact, I did a waterproof render, but I lost lots of heat. So then I did a 50mm perlite and aluminium cement render, a 25mm (1'') superwool blanket and then a 50mm vermiculite render and are about to finish it off. The pizzas had better tast good.....
Good luck mate, let us know how it works out.....
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Apprentice

By chance do you have any pictures of your oven under construction, specifically the door...?
I will be using refractory mortar and have built a 4" insulating slab on top of the hearth. Once the oven dome is done, I am planning of framing around it and will fill that space with perilite or vermiculite.
Glad to hear you are cooking... my pizzas are still being done in my BBQ on a big flat stone on the grill.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

How do I get my photos to appear in a post. I uploaded build to my album but no idea how to get the thread in the right place. Help !
EatingMoreFood
Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 PM

If the picture is uploaded, and you can find it, you can left click on the image, select "copy image location", then in your post you can hit the postcard icon over the box where you type. This brings up a dialog box where you can paste the location (or URL) of your picture, and it will show up right in your post,

Like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned

Ok,
I will try this !
thank you,
EatingMoreFood

this is a test....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...0-dig-hole.jpg
Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Banned

Cool Re: Measuring your Hearth

Hi all,
Here is the slab with concrete blocks, lots of rebar and crushed stone topped with 5 in concrete hearth to date. I added 20% extra crushed rock and sand to the mix. All wood and rebar was recycled, donated by local construction sites. The HD tie down strap really helped keep frame together nicely.
Left the heavy strap on for 1 week now. I am told concrete dries and hardens over several months. Any thoughts?
Still figuring out the picture upload. These are all in my album.
EatingMoreFood

---
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ish-drying.jpg

Last edited by eatingmorefood; 10-27-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Banned

Ok,
Now I need to know how to get the thread started !
thank you,
EatingMoreFood
Old 10-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"no more that 60% of the dome height"

The "magic number" is 63%. No more, no less.