Old 06-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Low vs. Medium Duty Firebrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
The folks at my local brick yard can get "regular firebrick". They have no idea if it is low duty or medium duty. I seem to be facing this everywhere I call. You should see the response when I ask them to get me HeatStop 50 (rather than the premixed heatstop in tubs).

Frustrating
I think the different duty firebricks weigh different- the ones we're supposed to use in the oven plans (low-duty, I think) should weigh about 8 pounds each. A little more or less is ok, they do vary a little in size. Mine aren't quite the same width as the ones in the plans, so they're a tad lighter. Not sure how much more the high and med. duty ones weigh.

If you have a local concrete or brick supplier, they really should have the heatstop in bags. If they don't, they ought to be able to get it, although it's expensive.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
they really should have the heatstop in bags. If they don't, they ought to be able to get it, .....
One would think. Unfortunately, the local brickyard has been very unhelpful. They have not even heard of the HeatStop 50 (powder type, in a bag). Several phone calls, and they won't even try to get it for me. It seems residential customers are not worth their time. Detroit is 90 miles south, I may have to make a trip this week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 AM
Master Builder

Mike, just noted that GR firebrick has an office in Detroit....

might be another source?? 24 Hour Refractory Installation

We Carry a Complete Line of Refr

XJ