Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Locating oven with pool nearby

Hi Rocko,

Could that be your mineral wool sheets, she smell? Its limit is 432F and if you clear your dome, the temperature can double that, in addition the insulating value of the perlcrete is dependent upon its ratio of concrete, how fine its mixed and other factors? Just wondering?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Journeyman

My pool is nearly downwind of my oven. In the photo below the camera is facing southwest. The prevailing winds here come off the ocean at various points from southwest to northwest. I have had no problems with ashes/embers to speak of that I can recall, but even if some fell in, I don't see it as a big issue. Like everyone with a pool, we get leaves in our pool, bugs, and even a mouse once in a while. The skimmer, vaccum, and filter take care of that stuff.

What was certainly noticeable was when I was grinding brick with a 4.5 inche angle grinder I would get tiny little drifts of firebrick dust accumulating at various points on the bottom of the pool until the random pattern of the vaccum eventually got there.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko Bonaparte View Post
I'd say say. At least four inches of perlcrete and then an inch of mineral wool sheets, overlapped. Over 12 hours later it'll still be at 240F. It's well-insulated.

Most of the bad burning is happening in the front when the fire first gets moving. It will come out the front and cause some trouble. It's making a nice moustache on the top front of the oven.

But yeah, oven and pool . . .
I beg to differ your 240f degrees after 12 hours, that is significant heat loss. Do you have a well insulated door? I am still above 240f after day 5 or longer.

Chip
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I beg to differ your 240f degrees after 12 hours, that is significant heat loss. Do you have a well insulated door? I am still above 240f after day 5 or longer.

Chip
Agreed. That is very significant heat loss IMO. I'm at over 350 twelve hours later if I completely leave the door off. If I close it up when it's still at pizza temps (approx 775), I am well over 600 degrees F twelve hours later. I'm at around 200 degrees at 96 hours after closing it up.

Not being braggy...just pointing out what these ovens are capable of if well insulated. If yours is well insulated, maybe the insulation is getting wet???
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Laborer

I don't recall for sure but it was at least 8:1 on the perlite to cement. I think I started at a ratio > 10:1 and worked it down as I went outwards. My current oven is clay with chunks of brick on it in the inside. The smell comes right from the front where the flame leaps outside. Generally my dome and door height are nonstandard. The door is 13.5 inches and the dome height I think is somewhere around 24 inches, over a 36" diameter floor. I don't use a door on it. But if I may say so, it's becoming a long derail.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Master Builder

It has been 5 day to the hour since I cleaned the ashes out of my oven to bake bread, the oven is now 160F, thats 5 days. I think the problem is the mineral wool which is not suited for the oven's prolonged high temperature.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
What was certainly noticeable was when I was grinding brick with a 4.5 inche angle grinder I would get tiny little drifts of firebrick dust accumulating at various points on the bottom of the pool until the random pattern of the vaccum eventually got there.
I'm reading comments about that quite a bit. I should be more worried about the construction than the usage. How did an angle grinder work out for cutting brick? That sounds like a lot of work.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Journeyman

I used a big old MK 2000 wet saw for the vast majority...but I occasionally felt the need to "touch up" a few things here and there. I really didn't do that much (went through only one blade)...but when I did the dust was flying. Can't imagine having done the entire oven with an angle grinder.

Bill
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
I used a big old MK 2000 wet saw for the vast majority...but I occasionally felt the need to "touch up" a few things here and there. I really didn't do that much (went through only one blade)...but when I did the dust was flying. Can't imagine having done the entire oven with an angle grinder.

Bill
i think everyone has had touch up issues that were dealt with in a similar manner.

Your heat retention is great. Have you ever measured the temp under the supporting slab. I find my wood bin ceiling has reached 145 after long hot pizza sessions.

I have 2.5 inches of 7/1 vermicrete and 2 inches of FB ceramic board under the floor of the oven, and still am loosing heat into the supporting slab. For the what would you do differently file.... more floor insulation.

Chip
Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Laborer

Let's just say "point taken" on the mineral wool. I was planning to avoid it in the new build anyways, since it was kind of a pain in the butt to handle.

I have a grinder too so I know now I'll probably want that nearby when I'm cutting bricks and all. It's probably about time I started a build thread or something since all of this is coming up.