Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Laborer

Default Re: LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate) for insulation Hearth

I will use it for my (first?) oven. Most of the material is salvaged from demolition or building sites so I feel no need to pay 200$ for the ceramic fibre board.
My plan is to make a mold out of 2x3" or 2x4", probably 2x4" an pour the mix in it. I want it only to be as large as the oven and not to protrude but how is that made?
Of course with an exact mold but that is tricky with the circular shape transitioning into the landing.

What if I make it octagonal and just let the insulation cover the worst and let stucco cover the rest? Maybe it'll work.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Make it larger then cut it away.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Laborer

OK so should I place a sheet of plastic film underneath so it wont stick to the concrete slab? Guess that's a good idea, then I could "easily" cut it to shape with an angle grinder or reciprocating saw.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Master Builder

If you are going to surround your hearth insulation pour then these pics show one way to do that. You can then pour your insulating layer inside the form. It is an idea to have a drainage hole under the insulating material (I used vermicrete) in case your hearth gets wet in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate) for insulation Hearth-16-3-13-insulation-form-1.jpg   LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate) for insulation Hearth-17-3-13-1.jpg  

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Laborer

I will probably make a circular shaped mold of 0.9 mm sheet metal and fill it, then an outer mold of 2x4" for the landing/vent area. My foundation is kind of massive concrete so it will be hard to make a decent drain. I will just have to cover the whole thing with stucco and live with a slightly higher-than-normal igloo =)

EDIT: just realizing that my signature dont rhyme to well with "2x4"

Last edited by ugnsnisse; 05-07-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Master Builder

I used light MDF for the curved part of the mould. Both would work ok depends on what you have to hand. Good luck with it.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics