Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Laying down mortar (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/laying-down-mortar-2732.html)

jcg31 10-09-2007 06:09 AM

Laying down mortar

Hey folk,
This is my first experience working with any sort of mortar, or masonry for that matter. I am reading the posts about waiting for the mortar to set before removing the shims and suggestions that folk have multiple shims in place with multiple brick while the mortar sets, making me wonder if I am on the right path. I am using Refrax and it is setting within seconds of placing the brick. I have gotten to the point where what I am putting down is almost soupy in consistancy. I am wetting the lower brick, and soaking in a bucket the one I am placing. Even with this consistancy I am not able to tap (with rubber hammer) the brick and get any downward movement after about 30 seconds. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
Thanks,
Jim

dmun 10-09-2007 07:18 AM

Re: Laying down mortar

I don't think you want your mortar anything like soupy. Peanut butter is the idea. Too-wet mortars are weaker. Your bricks may not be wet enough.

I used heat-stop, someone who used refrax may jump in here.

The tendency for bricks and blocks to absorb some mortar moisture and set up quickly make them much easier to lay. i laid up nine glass blocks in the course of my project, and boy was that hard. They stayed loose and wiggly until the mortar set up by its self.

christo 10-09-2007 07:39 AM

The refrax firms up quickly. It was frustrating at first as I was so slow....

Soaking the bricks before use is important. Makes a world of difference.

After I got the hang of placing bricks right the first time, it was a nice feature to hold it in place for a few seconds and move on to the next brick.

Christo

asudavew 10-09-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 16814)
After I got the hang of placing bricks right the first time, it was a nice feature to hold it in place for a few seconds and move on to the next brick.
Christo

I bet that it is nice to have them hold in place. Maybe I should of went this route...I'm using cheap-guy mortar, and it takes quite a while for it to set up.

I'm fixing to move on to some upper courses where the angles might start to get me.....I can here them hitting the oven floor now. :eek:

Might be time for some sticks to hold em up.

Dutchoven 10-10-2007 04:17 PM

Asuda
You just have to find the right balance between the stickiness of the mortar and the wetness of the bricks...could give the bricks less time to soak. What kind of mortar recipe are you using? 3:1:1:1 sand:cement:lime:fireclay? Could add a bit more lime?
Best
Dutch
P.S. Your oven is looking good!

asudavew 10-10-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchoven (Post 16939)
Asuda
You just have to find the right balance between the stickiness of the mortar and the wetness of the bricks...could give the bricks less time to soak. What kind of mortar recipe are you using? 3:1:1:1 sand:cement:lime:fireclay? Could add a bit more lime?
Best
Dutch
P.S. Your oven is looking good!

Yeah, 3-1-1-1

How much extra lime should I add?
I am fixing to start the 5th course past the soldier course, and the angel of the dangel.....
I did cut my bricks into thirds .... maybe that will help.

And thanks for the compliment! I've been doing my best on a budget.

Unofornaio 10-10-2007 05:59 PM

I don't know where this mix came from but with equal amounts of cement lime and fire-clay if your bricks are not sticking then your mix is too wet or the bricks are too wet. With that ratio how the heck do you get it off the trowel and on to the brick? Where did this come from?

asudavew 10-10-2007 06:13 PM

straight off the plans... i believe

i dont have a copy at home

Unofornaio 10-10-2007 06:40 PM

Dave- I just looked over the plans and I cant find a recipe for mortar anywhere, except for the hearth bricks. Do you or anybody know what page?

Hendo 10-10-2007 06:49 PM

Appendix 6 - p67 on mine!