Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Mongo

Default Re: Larger Oven Design Help

Good idea about the cardboard arch layout. I'm gonna pick up my bricks on Tues. and can actually do a mock layout and get the size then I guess.

As far as the double oven, again good idea but I think at that point I would just use a conventional, smaller oven for other things if I can't use the pizza oven. If I had the space, time, budget I might consider it though.

I guess other than that I'm still unsure, not having used one, in say a 42" - 50" oven how much space the coals will take up aprox. and also how close one can get the pizzas to the coals. I'm guessing about 6" away but no clue as to how much space the coals will need.

le MoNgO
Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

'Fraid i can't help there - I'm still very much in the dreaming stage myself. I'm sure one of the old pro's will wander in and be able to answer though.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm only guestimating here, I would say once my oven reaches temp and I push the fire and coals aside, there is about 60-70% of the hearth cleared for pizza. I only have a 36" oven, so the fire/coals may be more for a larger oven.
Keep in mind, I usually only do one pizza at a time and I only try to clear enough space to make turning easier and keep charring from occuring too soon. I place the pizzas 4-5" away and turn twice (I like it to just begin to char)....90-100 seconds total (I cook in the 900 degree range)
I've only attempted 2 pizzas at the same time twice; both times I mushed the fire and coals to the wall as much as I could, and still maintain a good flame. Actually had enough room for 3 pizzas (2 down the side, 1 in front), but did not attempt.....too much of a 'juggling' act and it woud have been tight. Also, I usually only make my pizzas in the 12" range for easier turning and handling in a 36" oven.

RT
Old 07-29-2007, 03:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Larger Oven Design Help

Hi Mongo, I have a 40" internal Pompeii and you can plan on close to 160 to 175mm around the edges of the oven for the coals and fire to burn once pushed back and to the sides. I do this to even out the heat distribution as best as possible, If you use larger logs (I use around 4" in diameter as recommended on Forno Bravo).
If you take out 300 to 350mm from the 1000mm diameter oven, you have an area approxomating 650 to 700mm in which to cook your pizzas.
As far I am concerned, you can almost touch the coals with your pizzas BUT you will have to continually turn then to prevent burning the outer crust. The fact that they cook so quickly, I usually cook 2 at atime in the centre as far away from the coals as possible. Rather I get my guests to place, cook and turn their own. Hell, they need to learn as well, my home is not their restaurant and they thoroughly enjoy it as well. Besides, I usually demonstrate the first pizza made and cooked and then enjot it whilst it is hot, letting them do their own thing. I don't enjoy cold pizza as much as straight out of the oven. Who else have they to then blame but themselves????
If you want to cook 4 X 15" pizzas, they will require a 40" cleared floor space minimum but with only 3 X 15" pizzas, a 35" diameter oven space is all that is required. See the attached .pdf diagram.
I hope this helps.
Regards.
Neill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oven diameters.pdf (1.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Mongo

Thanks for the measurements you guys, and the diagram. Good thing I'm a Canuck and speak both Inch and Millimetre Got the bricks from the States today and will be able to do an actual mockup with the bricks and pans and that should do it as now I have an idea aprox. how big the fire will be and how far away the pizzas need to be. I know it's not an exact thing (size of coals) but it still helps a lot.

Cheers,

Mongo
Old 10-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Serf

mongo,
Is your oven finished? How was the pizza? I would like to know how many pizzas you actually can fit into that big oven. thanks.
Kulas
Old 10-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Mongo

When I posted this I was basically finished up to the insulating concrete stage. I have cured it but now I have added stucco finish and am actually in the process of changing the vent on the front to make it deeper. It will be about 8-10 inches deep when I'm done. Doing the pour tommorrow and will post some pictures when I'm done that. I will have to do a bit of recuring and still need to get a 16" pizza peel to complete my pizza tool collection AND THEN I'll be ready to cook some pizzas haha. Long road. Actually I worked on this pretty steady 'cause of the cold weather approaching where I am. I started Sep. 1 (not counting stand fabrication) and would have been finished mid. October had I not needed to make changes. To say I'm itching to cook some za is an understatement haha. I will be using this for 15" pizzas and I think it was around 5 could fit in at one time at that size but I won't know for sure until I get cookin'.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Serf

I look forward to hearing from your first pizza. It looks like you did a great job with that oven, congratulations.

I'm planning on building a 48". I did a mock hearth to play with this morning. 5 12 inch pizzas could fit in the mock hearth but I'd be happy enough for 3 at a time and having space to move the pizza around and manage the fire.

Seems like you are on the right track.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Kulas,

48"/120cm is a size can be considered either a large residential oven or an entry size restaurant oven -- it does both applications (it's also a good size for mobile catering). We carry both 48" residential ovens (Premio120) and commercial ovens (Modena120).

How are you going to use your oven? It's interesting to hear more.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Serf

James,

I have a barrel vault now which I use for pizza. I'm still thinking of making a round dome like the pompei since I want to make bread in the barrel vault and make the round dome dedicated to pizza only.

Yes, I saw the modena and the premio120 in the fb store page and they are very beautiful. I'm thinking of building my own in the meantime since I have fire bricks left and clay from the barrel vault construction. I overdid my estimate for materials on that project.

I am hoping to start my own thread in "Getting Started" coz i have some more questions. I will also post more info there.

Kulas