Old 09-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Jim's build for the common man

Also bending 1/2'' rebar is not easy. You can heat it with a torch or just order 1/2'' 90's from a masonry supply store. Or just keep it all straight and dont' put them down into the block cells. I came across these left over at a construction site. I believe you could also get by with 3/8'' and just double them up.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Apprentice

Well, I'm certainly not going to win a Fornobravie (name of award I suggest they have every year) but this is a grand experiment for guys with no experience, and little time. My foundation slab was not level, and I had trouble leveling the first course. I thought it was good enough, but as I went up, many blocks wobbled when I stacked them, so I had to use mortar the whole way up. The back corner ended up with the fourth course about 3/8" higher on one side than the side meeting it at 90 degrees. But rather than redo everything, and never get anything done, I'm pushing ahead. Despite the big flaws, I gotta think this will still last at least 15 years.

Here's the latest pic - not quite done with the fourth course - gotta finish leveling and stacking one side, then grind down blocks over the angle iron spans. (Note my son's beautiful chalk drawings all over.) I got the angle iron from an old bed frame, seems like it will work very well. My goal is to make the form and pour the hearth slab and cores before it gets too cold, which I'm sure I can do. I don't think I'll be able to finish the dome before then, so I may have to put that off until spring. Or is it okay to leave exposed supersol if I start the dome, but don't finish before it snows? Can I just keep it covered with a tarp if I start and don't finish?
Attached Thumbnails
Jim's build for the common man-4th-course0001.jpg  
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Journeyman

I think as long as you leave it covered, it'll be fine. It takes forever to drive all the moisture out of the insulation board just from the construction process, so drier is better but doing the best you can should be fine.
Really, there is no reason you'd need to bother grinding the blocks over the angle iron. Set your formwork for the hearth slab and you'll see why...it'll have no effect on the finished surface or slab to leave them as is.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Apprentice

Well, my blocks are all stacked. I'm not so sure now about my prediction that the thing will last at least 25 years despite the imperfections; there's several horizontal gaps between courses of 1/8", and a few at 1/4". So I suppose the blocks could crack pretty soon under the weight of the slab, then the oven bricks will shift. Still, I say throw caution to the wind, and get this thing built. If the oven collapses, I'll bite the bullet and have a pro make a new stand, and I'll buy a FB oven. Or maybe I'll just start all over again. Next step: make form, pour slab and cores (having a truck deliver the concrete.)
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tuck the cracks and move on, it ain't no big thang.