Old 02-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Interior Light

Function over form?

Sometimes you just need to use duct tape; even if it doesn't match your oven's stone exterior.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Journeyman

O.K. Here is my ideal peel. A handle of horizontal scrub, which is a slow growing rainforest hardwood indiginous to Tasmania and has the unique characteristic of being able to retain it's bark indefinitely,(see picture of handrails) a paddle of figured Tasmanian rainforest hardwoods, rescued from forests which are being clearfelled for paper pulp as I write this, edge glued similar to this skateboard built by Ian Hewitt, ny neighbor in Tasmania, and a mounted, adjustable led flashlight which can be turned to face the side of the oven your pizzas are cooking on.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Light-horizontal.jpg   Interior Light-longboards-clamps.jpg   Interior Light-longboards-three.jpg   Interior Light-led-flashlight.jpg   Interior Light-rainforest.jpg  

Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use a small mini mag light in my mouth. Leaves the hands free

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 AM
Journeyman

Since I submitted my first post on this, I have been persuaded by a friend, who has worked all his life in domestic lighting, to consider using low voltage halogen spot-lights. These can tolerate high temperatures extremely well, as long as metal enclosures are utilised. So now I’m thinking of incorporating one or two near the entrance of the oven, perhaps just above the vent opening in the chimney (my vent will end up around 12” deep for various reasons, which will become obvious when I start to post photo’s). If the lights don't eventuate, I'll probably get out the Petzel headlight.

Nick - I love the idea of a laminated Tassie hardwood peel, and will have to investigate further.

Thanks all for your input – yet more ideas for me to ponder over in my never-ending quest to build the world’s best brick oven (don’t tell me – I already know that it resides in your back yard!)

Cheers, Paul.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I think I mentioned this before, but our producer for our precast ovens makes a version for the Italian market that offers a halogen in-dome light option. So at least we know that I can be done.
James

Old 02-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Journeyman

James,

As a matter of interest, where precisely in the dome is the light mounted?

Paul.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:08 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Paul,

I am attaching an image from our producer's brochure. This is a product line that we do not sell in the states, so I don't have any experience with it. You can see that there is a tube light that fits into on opening in one of the precast pieces of the oven dome.

Hope this helps.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Light-oven_light.jpg  

Old 04-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabia Jim View Post
I use a small mini mag light in my mouth. Leaves the hands free

a little easier on the dental work, eh?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Serf

does the size and depth make a big difference
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Journeyman

I've just noticed on the current thread about a hybrid oven, that the builder inserted a block of "crystal vitrocerámico" in his dome, "fastened with refractory mortar and a bulb behind". See OVENS CRAFTSMEN OF WORK (about half way down) and pics below for detail.

This seems like a good idea, but does anyone out there have any idea on what material the "crystal vitrocerámico" is? It would ideally want to have good translucence, have good insulation properties, and be thermally stable. I could envisage a small halogen light outside of the dome, fixed at (but not to) the end of a tube going through the outside cladding somehow for globe replacement purposes.

Any ideas on suitable materials for this "light block"?

Cheers, Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Light-mexican-oven-light-1.jpg   Interior Light-mexican-oven-light-2.jpg