Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Insulation Efficiency

I am planning on putting 4" of perlite concrete under my oven to insulate the floor. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary to install some wire mesh in this concrete?
My first thought is no since this slab will only be in compression and by adding wire, I might be lowering the insulating properties.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G,
Putting anything in yout perlite is not necessary, The compression strength is great enough to hold your oven,, You should certainly put rebar in the slab that holds your perlite....

Cheers
Mark
Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Apprentice

James
Need some advice here!

I purchased two gallons of what Boral Brick told me was fire clay, even though it stated on the bucket "mortar". I called up the manufacturer and found out it was in fact high temp mortar.
Now lacking any fire clay can I do any of the following:

1. Just install a leveling course of sand down under the floor?
2. Mix some of the sand with the mortar and use that as leveling
3. Try to find a fire clay and how much? I am buiding a 42" ID oven.

My first thought is just to use the sand for leveling. I don't know what value the fire clay adds when you mix it with the sand and water to place it under the floor.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Gary

Last edited by gdest; 05-04-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Adding in a thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Journeyman

I don't know what mortar you are using, but if it a very fine texture then I don't see a problem with using it wet or dry. You are just trying to bed the bricks evenly.

The floor has been done wet or dry by many. Pick either method you prefer. Myself, I decided to trowel a wet bed for my floor bricks. Worked fine, is still perfectly flat and looks as good as the day it was put down.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Apprentice

It is a pre-mixed wet mortar. But what I was really asking was all the plans I have seen state that you mix fire clay with fine sand 50/50 wet it and then trowel in on the bottom to get a level surface. What does adding fire clay to the sand do for you?

Thanks

Gary
Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If it is from Boral out of Houston, it is probably Able fireplace mortar. It is good stuff, but you do not want to use it for a leveling bed. It does not have enough body and is a water soluble mortar. Let me make some calls and see if I can find someone that has fire clay over there, if nothing else, I can get it to you from here through Headwaters.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Apprentice

Tscar

I tried to reply on the e-mail, so I don't know if you got my message. What I would like to know is what does adding fireclay to the sand do for you? Why can't I just use fine sand for leveling?

Gary
Old 05-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gary, other here have used just sand, others even used the Refmix. The point is sand alone MAY work, but it might slip a bit and therefore need the fire-clay and water to "set-up" the sand slightly. (sand alone may shift) If you need something with some peanut butter consistency to hold the bricks in place at the level you need, then your next resort would be to add some of that premix you've just bought to give the sand some body.

What do you others think of that as a solution here? I've read of some on the forum using the Heatstop to mortar the floor in, which the pompeii pdf plans don't say to do,, but it did not do anything bad to the build (and actually worked quite successfully for all that I've read on this forum who did it).

Does anyone else agree? Gary, I've got almost a full bag I'd give if you were closer .

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 05-04-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Heatstop mortaring floor works great! I'm really a peasant still.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used regular mortar on mine. It is not in direct contact with flame, and I doubt that the temp will ever get hot enough to bother it. Even if it does, it is restrained enough that nothing will happen to it.

I did not get an email, nor have I found fire clay in Houston.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Apprentice

Just for the record, the floor gets "red hot" underneath the fire. I verified that one winters night when I fired up the oven, built a good fire and let it burn down. When I banked the coals over to the side, the firebricks on the floor were glowing a very nice cherry red color. As such, there is a lot of heat there.