Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulation Efficiency

Organic material is not a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 12-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulation Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Organic material is not a good idea.
Gudday
How very true, organics rot or burn either way they return to the carbon of which it was made. You can use this characteristic you you advantage though to make a low tec insulation.
Chopped straw, rice husk, sugar cane mulch whatever and use enough watery clay to bind it will give you an insulating material. Even in the absence of oxygen the heat will break down the particles and if not it will break down over time anaerobic. It make an insulation that will go over an oven. If you pack it into glass jars and pack them together with something around to contain them it will be strong enough to support a small oven.
Efficient ... No not really but better than nothing at all.
But efficiency is what you think it is. A home oven is not really efficient as much of the heat is wasted. I'm guessing here but it would probably take 5 or 6 kg of wood for each kg of bread (food) cooked. It would be more efficient to keep it flashed up permanently and feed a number of households
Anyway that's my take on that
Regards dave

My Build

My Door