Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Insulation Efficiency

You will be fine with that, as I posted earlier, forno bravo is now only supplying FB blanket for insulation with thier kits. It is an industrial grade product.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Apprentice

Thank you all for your help!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Serf

I would like to chime in. My oven has 2" of vermiculite/cement and then I filled the rest of the cavity with Roxul loosefill. I used the full bag and thickness varies 2-5".
I had a pork should in the oven and we got 20cm of snow over night. The next day I went out to dig out the pork and the snow had not even melted on the roof. It was still 225F inside the oven after 17 hrs and a snowstorm.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Laborer

Any thoughts on the size of the vermiculite particles I am looking to use? (It will be mixed with portland and poured for the hearth (plus innsblock on top) and used as loose fill on top of 1-2" of ceramic blancket inside the structure.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulation Efficiency-vvl-exf-3s.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclancy View Post
Any thoughts on the size of the vermiculite particles I am looking to use? (It will be mixed with portland and poured for the hearth (plus innsblock on top) and used as loose fill on top of 1-2" of ceramic blancket inside the structure.
It appears to be coarse or at least medium grade. It will work just fine. More importantly, than the grade, is it the best price in bulk vermiculite for your area? I'm sure that you have read on the forum that independant plant nurseries are a good place to start. The chain stores in my area like Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes are definately not he place to buy vermiculite. Though, I have heard of some regions that offer an attic insulation vermiculite that may be available for a good price for the oven. It is just not available in my neck of the woods .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Laborer

I can get 60 cu ft locally for $140....way more than I need but the price is right so i m thinking maybe just 1" of blanket plus 8-10" vermic all around inside the enclosure.....
Gulf likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Id still be putting a 2" layer of blanket over the top and 1" around the outside.
Its what I did with mine then about 1' of loose vermiculite over the top and about 6" down the side.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-03-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Laborer

Al,

I didnt read all 16 pgs of this thread, but the original post in 2005 indicated to me that 1" of vermiculite is superior to 1" of insulfrax blanket (see below)....or am I reading this wrong?

I will have a "ton" of vermiculite at a very good price (they actually mine it nearby in VA and I am buying it "mine-direct") and could easily do 2" for every 1" of blanket that I am giving up as my oven will be quite a bit smaller than my full size size pompeii stand - the enclosure should leave me nearly 6-8" on the sides and as much height on top as I need to get another 8-10' on top of the dome.

1" Insulfrax Blanket 6#, 4" Vermiculite 1000F** 172F

2" Insulfrax Blanket 6#, 3" Vermiculite 1000F** 161F

3" Insulfrax Blanket 6#, 2" Vermiculite 1000F** 151F

4" Insulfrax Blanket 6#, 1" Vermiculite 1000F** 142F

5" Insulfrax Blanket 6# ******* 1000F** 135F

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Id still be putting a 2" layer of blanket over the top and 1" around the outside.
Its what I did with mine then bout 1" of loose vermiculite over the top and about 6" down the side.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
indicated to me that 1" of vermiculite is superior to 1" of insulfrax blanket
I believe that is wrong, blanket is far superior..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Al,

I didnt read all 16 pgs of this thread, but the original post in 2005 indicated to me that 1" of vermiculite is superior to 1" of insulfrax blanket (see below)....or am I reading this wrong?
Yes, I think you are reading it wrong. The blanket is about twice as good as the vermiculite so if you use it (vermiculite) you will need double the thickness to achieve the same insulating value.