Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulation Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Installing under fire brick for sure. I have seen references to FB board, ceramic fiber board, etc. I just wasn't sure if calcium silicate was appropriate for insulating the floor. I'm glad to find out that it is. I'll proceed and install it on top of the vermicrete.
You will have one of the best insulated oven floors on the forum! Your plan is as close to perfect as you get. The CalSil board is about the best insulator you can get for directly under the floor bricks. You won't regret it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
You will have one of the best insulated oven floors on the forum! Your plan is as close to perfect as you get. The CalSil board is about the best insulator you can get for directly under the floor bricks. You won't regret it.
WOW!, thanks very much for the vote of confidence.

I went back and read your thread again. I will definately take every precaution to keep the CalSil as dry as possible.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You should be fine with CalSil. The stuff I used was a different animal (I wish I had used CalSil ).

Updated!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 AM
Laborer

Guys what is this? R=m2.K/W Resistance(s) to heat flow ?
But main question.. do you know what numbers should be for good hearth insulation?

I'm building this - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...guy-16753.html (42" in Hungary by Slovak guy ;))
and using alternative materials.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Laborer

I was going to use a locally-sourced 1" cal-sil board to spread the load, on top of 3" Foamglas for both more insulation and to prevent water wicking up from the base. The Foamglas is an absolute barrier to ground water, but it's really friable, even though it's rated for 90 psi. compressive load. Without the cal-sil, I think a brick dropped during construction would go halfway through to the hearth slab! I ended up with 3" cal-sil and 3" Foamglas (gross overkill, but I *really* wanted the Foamglas underneath).
Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsteve View Post
to prevent water wicking up from the base.
Thats an issue that you should address before you continue with your build.
You dont want water near the oven.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Laborer

at least like this
Old 12-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsteve View Post
I was going to use a locally-sourced 1" cal-sil board to spread the load, on top of 3" Foamglas for both more insulation and to prevent water wicking up from the base. The Foamglas is an absolute barrier to ground water, but it's really friable, even though it's rated for 90 psi. compressive load. Without the cal-sil, I think a brick dropped during construction would go halfway through to the hearth slab! I ended up with 3" cal-sil and 3" Foamglas (gross overkill, but I *really* wanted the Foamglas underneath).
A lot of people worry about water and cal.Sil. I know that you can soak cal.Sil in a bucket for a week and it still wont degrade, just drys out and is as rigid as ever.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.g View Post
at least like this
The way you have it there is no adhesion between the blocks and the concrete due to the rubber matting, plus when it rains the water will sit on the rubber matting and travel up the blockwork into the oven.
I can see in the pic that moisture is already travelling up the blockwork.

Any dampcourse should be well above ground level to stop this from happening..

Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Any dampcourse should be well above ground level to stop this from happening..
I don't see any mentions of "dampcourse" here within the past year or two. It sounds like a *good thing* for those of us in wetter climates. Would you care to elaborate for us amateur masons? Maybe it merits a mention in the 3.0 plans... My slab rests on three feet of 3/4" stone, but my base still gets damp when the snow melts (not my dome, though).