Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Serf

Default Re: Insulation Efficiency

Hi

Please help
Can somebody explain what is vermiculite? Is it clay? And how can I fix the problem if after I built the dome and put FB than clay.No I saw the clay did not dry well I had done clay with cement and although its not 100% its much better.
DF
Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Apprentice

This is a bit of a cop out this is straight out of Wikipedia

Vermiculite is a natural mineral that expands with the application of heat. The expansion process is called exfoliation and it is routinely accomplished in purpose-designed commercial furnaces. Vermiculite is formed by weathering or hydrothermal alteration of biotite or phlogopite.[1] Large commercial vermiculite mines currently exist in South Africa, China, and Brazil.

Vermiculite is a 2:1 clay, meaning it has 2 tetrahedral sheets for every one octahedral sheet. It is a limited expansion clay with a medium shrink-swell capacity. Vermiculite has a high cation exchange capacity at 100-150 meq/100 g. Vermiculite clays are weathered micas in which the potassium ions between the molecular sheets are replaced by magnesium and iron ions.

As for the rest of your question I really don't understand what you are asking

Gary
Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Serf

Thanks Gary for the information. I could not find any one who sells vermiculite or perlite so I have no other alternative as to use clay and portland cement on a layer of fire blanket. The problem is that clay and portland when mixed together does dry up and crack. I will cover it with Stucco. Hope this oven works.Our built oven is a pompei oven but we built a seperate part which connect to the dome to light fire. I will post some photos when its ready. Any advice will be appreciated.

Dorothy
Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Apprentice

You might be able to get vermiculite or an alternative perilite at a gardening center or in a store that sells hydroponic supplies.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Serf

Thanks Spunkoid
Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Apprentice

You can find vermiculite or perlite at any gardening supply warehouse. They sell to nurseries in bulk and is usally cheaper. If you can't find a warehouse, try any nursery.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Serf

Is it out of the question to use 2" "blueboard" as an insulation under the oven floor?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Serf

G'day beautiful people.

Just two questions on insulation that may or may not have been covered before.
1. I wish to wrap copper pipe around my oven that I am building in between the dome walls, I will be using 2 half bricks(solids). The reason for this would be
a) to heat water from oven and use it to clean/wash or possible put back in the hot water system)
b) the wound copper pipe would act as a insulation chamber as air would move freely around it

My question is would it be best if the copper pipe is in the middle of the two bricks or on the outside of the two bricks just before the final render.

I have drawn some sketches if this helps, thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pizza oven 3.pdf (239.6 KB, 236 views)
Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopass View Post
Is it out of the question to use 2" "blueboard" as an insulation under the oven floor?
I would not recommend it. The fire bricks get red hot when you are heating up the oven. You can't see it in the daylight but if you are cooking at night and scrape the coals aside, the fire bricks glow red hot for several minutes before getting darker as the bricks cool a little.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaloven View Post
G'day beautiful people.

I wish to wrap copper pipe around my oven that I am building in between the dome walls, I will be using 2 half bricks(solids). The reason for this would be
a) to heat water from oven and use it to clean/wash or possible put back in the hot water system)
b) the wound copper pipe would act as a insulation chamber as air would move freely around it

My question is would it be best if the copper pipe is in the middle of the two bricks or on the outside of the two bricks just before the final render.
The cool water flowing through the copper pipe is being heated by the oven. As such, it is aborbing heat from your oven and is not acting as an insulation chamber.
You can try to recycle waste heat by putting the copper pipe inside or around the flue. I recall an article years ago in a magazine called Mother Earth News where someone coiled copper pipe and put it into the chimney on their wood stove. I don't know how well it worked but here is a link.
Get Hot Water from Your Woodstove: The Blazing Showers Stovepipe Water Heater