Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulating existing barrel oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaylabs View Post
Completely frustrated with Perlcrete. This stuff is virtually impossible to work on the vertical or it's me that is useless with it?!
My dome is vertical for the first foot or so, and I can't even make it to that point. Smaller spaces like around the oven opening are easier, but still, any false move and half the wall comes crumbling down.

I'm done for today... fingers cut from the metal lath and stiff from the cement.
I might bite the bullet and order the ceramic blankets and just use perlcrete under the oven floor.
Pcrete/Vcrete (I only have experience with Vcrete) on the vertical needs a foundation underneath for it to rest. Looking at your pics, I am wondering if you are supporting it. If not, you will only be able to add about an inch to the thickness at a time. I was able to apply a 3 to 4 " thick layer to my dome. I began with plenty of support from underneath and only climbed about six inches per course. Beginning on one side of the dome and completing the course on the other. This gave the Vcrete time enough to set up to support the next course.
I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Serf

Talking Re: Insulating existing barrel oven

Gulf was right on the money. Thanks for his comment on supporting it from below and someone else on the forum suggesting using forms I was able to get it done.

I'll swap that 2x4 supporting the right side by cement board before I stucco.

Here's what I did to help me place that bottom perlcrete slab:

I put a fresh coat of mortar on top of the slab, lowered the supports about 1.5" in order to slide the slab in, then lifted it by turning those nuts.

Stucco is next and finishing the insulated door.

Oh, and yesterday I made my first decent pizza after finding a local market that carries Caputo flour. Day and night.

Happy camper :-)
Tscarborough and cobblerdave like this.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Insulating existing barrel oven

Gudday
Well done I'm impressed .....particularly with you bottom slab well thought through well executed

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Well done I'm impressed .....particularly with you bottom slab well thought through well executed

Regards dave
Thank you Dave! I think it came out pretty decent all things considered.

Below you can see how the door is coming along. Ignore the ugly welds and peeling paint please; that is all reclaimed sheetmetal from an old grill (the stuff at Home Depot was too thin to weld) so it will be ground and repainted when I'm done.

I made those 1/4" gaps between the inner and outer sections (first pic) to minimize heat transfer. The sections are only joined at the corners by 1.5" of metal.
Then I used some left over fiberglass header wrap (found at autopart stores) to line the gaps from the inside to keep the 2" of perlcrete in, and on the outside I'll use fiberglass rope gasket to finish the seal.

The "pretty" side will be red oak and a 5" thermometer in the center.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Serf

Hello,
I would like to know details on the chimney you have made out of sheet metal like if you have details on how you made it. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Serf

Hello,
This looks real good.
May I ask how you made the chimney for the grill, is it sheet metal? do you have any instructions or anything that would help me make my own?

Thanks