Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How much did it cost to build your oven?

My cost spreadsheet link is below in my signature.
My finished project cost way too much, but was worth every penny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Serf

This is all very useful info! My CFO at home is a little worried about the costs, possibly even more so than my total inexperience at this type of work. All the more reason to roll up my sleeves and get crackin', I say.

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss".
- Pete Townshend
Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Apprentice

My CFO is difficult at times to deal with as well, what with Christmas and end of year property taxes, etc. I feel your pain

Travis
Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for all the info... I'm weighing options now as a complete and total newbie, and this kind of thing is very helpful!
Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Serf

Ditto on the appreciation of this thread. It's helpful to get planning and permissions underway. Of course I think it's a lot like having kids. If you waited until you could afford it, you would never have them. So I'm hoping the get started this spring one way or the other.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Peasant

Well having earlier posted the bit about an oven which cost zero $ to build, my own great work is under way, dome almost complete and only a few days away from the first fire, maybe 2 weeks from cooking that first Pizza!
So far the cost for materials has been about $900 (Aussie $). There will be one further expense: for the sake of the final finish I am going to engage a professional renderer to coat the outside with a nice smooth final coat. That will conceal all the rough amateurish insides of the beast. And - the beast has a name. Thunderdome - done before - no, this is the "Blunderdome"!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Journeyman

Update:

I found a source of fire bricks and refractory mortar for free! I spent $20 on rebar and needed and additonal 3-80 lb bags of cement (son bought the expensive stuff at $7.bag)

I expect my cost to come in around $500 as of now.

CW

I am at $150 with the base completed and all the cement to finish the hearth. Need to get vermiculite and rebar for the hearth (around $40). then the Bricks ($1.16 ea x250) and around $130 for the refractory delivered to the casa from FB. Lastly, I need to spend about $300 on the flue and deco rocks. So I am estimating about $933. Please note this price will go down as I scrounge some more stuff (e.g. a flue duct, reclaimed brick from a local demo (for the exterior) and rebar -don't ask! Also have a bunch of stuff left over from building the casa! I estimate $800 tops!

For what it is worth.

C5dad -aka Chris

Last edited by C5dad; 10-10-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Serf

I'm still building mine and so far have built up the brick base. Using commons from around the house and by partly demolishing the existing bbq I haven't paid for the foundation bricks.So far I've spent about $150 and depending on what bricks I end up using for the oven it could be as much as $1200 completed or as little as $850.

Rod
Old 01-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Peasant

Further to that earlier post, I have now had the first few smallish fires (no pizza yet) and all is working well - but I have still to put on the final insulation layers. What I want to do is use rockwool or some other fireproof layer on the outside of the dome brickwork, then a water proof sheath of, say, aluminium foil - then a thick coat, maybe 4", of vermiculite concrete. So far I have been unable to find suitable aluminium foil except by buying a whole roll (80 square metres and I only need 4!) and the only fireproof insulation blanket I can find is $20 for a single batt which is about 1200mm x 450mm, I will need several of these. Yikes! this will blow the budget to smithereens, taking me up from around the $1,000 mark to more like $1200. Plus the cost of the final render coat, which I suppose will be a couple of hundred dollars. The alternative: thicker vermiculite layer and no blanket or foil. I wonder how that would compare as far as insulation goes?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 PM

We keep hearing about aluminum foil. What's it for? You certainly don't need a vapor barrier, and any slight reflective effect it might have will disappear as it dulls up and rots in contact with the caustic portland cement.