Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Peasant

Default Re: How many bags of vermiculite

No problem, I know, I'll see what I could come up, we have a lot of u channel laying around that I could use, I think that would work best for support.. If I have the flat part of the channel facing up, and just lay them next to each other and weld them together,
It should definetly work. These are all just thoughts at this point, but it seems as though it would isolate the insulation from the concrete slab.
Art
Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Journeyman

very, very little heat makes it through the 3 inches of Ceramic fiber Board under the firebrick in my oven (I was able to get my finger under the board when my oven was fired up, before I enclosed the dome) - so if the goal is to gain more heat insulation you probably don't need it.

But sounds like it will work!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Journeyman

I don't understand the aluminum idea...I think if you have 2" thick of ceramic fiber insulation underneath the firebrick, it will take a lot for the heat travel through the CF to the concrete. Putting aluminum between the concrete and the ceramic fiberboard wont really do much in terms of heat transfer....it wont hurt, but it wont really help either. Just my opinion...
Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Peasant

I guess I'm just thinking too much... I'll put my thoughts into something more important like holding the heat in the dome.. Ummmm vault.
Art
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have 2" of CF board under my floor and 3.5" of vermicrete under the board.

I like the idea of propping up the insulation and floor above an air gap using U-channel especially with a heavy Alan Scott design. Wish I'd thought of it.
Art nj likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Journeyman

Art...please don't let me discourage you from creative thought. Take it from my wife, who learned a long time ago NOT to listen to anything that I had to say....she is a wise woman!!!
Art nj likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Peasant

Lol.. Ok I'll keep the creative juices flowing..
Gianni.. Wow, that's a lot of insulation, I'm probably gonna be using 2" of ceramic fiber board, and I'll try out the u channel under it and see If it works in case someone else wants to try it. I'll probably lay my floor bricks on edge instead of flat to make the floor 4 1/2 in thick too.

Art
Old 03-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I'll probably lay my floor bricks on edge instead of flat to make the floor 4 1/2 in thick too.
If this is your plan the U-channel is a good call, IMHO. I have 3.75" total floor depth and with the 5.5" of insulation, the morning after a pizza session I can just barely feel heat on the bottom of my support slab. That means a volume of heat, however small, is warming up that mass of concrete. An air gap should leave you golden.
Art nj likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

To your thread question, I once used. 9-11( it was 9 years ago, don't remember exactly ) bags to fill an enclosure around a 36" oven with one layer of ceramic wool insulation, and 4.5" of space between it and the masonry surround.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Peasant

Thanks , I'm going with the 2 inch ceramic fiber board under the firebrick floor. And I'm going to try the Uchannel air gap under the c.f. board. Then I'll probably try that fire resistant insulation from HD.

Art