Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: High Heat Mortar Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
I have only ever used the pre mixed junk once, it was for a small patch up job and I didnt want to go to all the trouble of sourcing and mixing mortar.

In all my years of bricklaying maybe 30 I lost count, but more that 25, I have never struggled with mortar until I used pre mix.

What an abomination on man kind.
Brickie, pre mixed mortar is now the newest thing for masonry construction. Being a mason for 32 yrs. I have learned to live with it. It doesn't have anywhere the workable aspects of a sand pile, a skid each of lime and portland cement. For standard mortar for brickwork you could not beat 32 shovels of sand and a bag each of lime and cement. Hence type "n". Boy could a guy work with that mortar. Today's mortar that comes out of silos acts like grout, i.e. has not plasticity. Mortars have gotten stronger so now we need control joints in brick veneers ever 25 feet and at every corner. Old buildings in my area never had CJS because the mortar was meant to give a little bit. Just my 2 cents about today's mortars. So as far as making my own home brew for less money or buying something in a pail or bag that is premixed and costs a lot more you can figure which way I am going. You bet I will mix my own and make it so I can work with it. Just thought I would give some thought.