Old 05-14-2009, 03:52 AM
Serf

Default Re: High duty fire bricks

I purchased several pallets of high duty fire bricks cheap. I have decided to use them on the hearth only. My reasoning is that they will tend to get hot and stay hot- this would seem to be an advantage. How many people have posted on this forum complaining that the hearth is not hot enough to cook their pizza bases? (possibly a technique peoblem).
I also remember seeing in Alan Scotts book a comment that high duty bricks were good for the hearth (I think). I also saw a post on another forum about 5 years ago from Canada. This oven builder owned a foundry and built his entire oven from high duty fire bricks. He said he had no problems.

I am in the middle of the build. I will let you know how I go.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Journeyman

Low duty refractory bricks are usually in the 18-26% AL203 grade with med. duty about 26-45, and superduty 45% and up. Density usually increases as alumina content increases. Most firebricks are dry pressed, but you can get extruded/ wirecut poor quality product. We sell 40% grade f/bricks to the general public for their WFO's.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Peasant

I've finally finished our oven with medium duty bricks (40% alumina content) and I can honestly say I'm quite pleased with the bricks. It takes about 1.5-2.0 hours to get about 850-900 degrees on the dome and 650-700 on the hearth. After a round of pizzas, we've done oven-dried tomatoes and brisket overnight with fantastic results! At 12PM the next day, the walls are still reading 250 degrees. I wouldn't be worried about using medium duty bricks - if they're cheap, use them!
Attached Thumbnails
High duty fire bricks-our-first-pizza-.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I suspect, that for pizza and bread ovens, there is no practical difference in heat up time or heat retention between "high duty" and "low duty" firebricks.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Serf

Where can I get BF Varnon Slabs
Old 12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Journeyman

I think Varnon are made by AP Green?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Laborer

I built my oven with a combination of med and hi-duty bricks .. all salvaged and some vintage from steamship boilers.. I did come across some ''chief'' #1 arch bricks which I used on row 6 , they are the last bricks to lose their soot as they have more mass the further they go into the dome , and I mortared them in . After parging with mortar I put a layer of extreme heavy duty aluminum foil [shiny side in ] over the whole oven , before the ceramic fiber layer. I also have a floor of 3x5x7in. hi dutys and they do hold their heat!!
One aspect that hasn't been mentioned so far is that hi-dutys weigh more! so they have to take longer to heat up , and longer to cool .
I am tossing a handful of snow in these days to add moisture for the bread.. it vapourizes fast!!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
I think Varnon are made by AP Green?
I may be wrong [what? Again?] but I think AP green is no longer with us.
tim
Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 AM

There was a big consolidation of the refractory industry a few years back, I think partly because of asbestos liabilities. I think AP green was absorbed into the Harbison-Walker refractory conglomerate. Now HW is about the only game in town in the US.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Laborer

Oh! Asbestos! ... great! I bought and am still using on my kiln a stash of AP Green's EPG50 insulating cement .. grey , fluffy and they claimed no asbestos... they claimed.. sigh!! .. Anybody heard a discouraging word on this?
tim