Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Help with vent floor size

Thanks Les and Christo. I think I'll follow suit.
George

-
Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Master Builder

Question Re: Help with vent floor size

I am trying to decide the proper distance from center of oven to inside edge of the inner arch opening. I am building a 36" oven and an 18" width for inner arch. The inner arch opening can be "pushed into" the oven as close as 13.5" from the center of oven or "pushed out" so far as to not lose any of the actual floor area (see the attached 37.5 plan) So, in my 36" oven that gives me a variance of as close as 13.5" from center to 18" from center.

Is there an optimal distance from center?

Also, it seems reasonable that the vent funnel area should be at least as wide as the flue. I have drawn a 7.5" depth of funnel area for a 6" flue. Is this too much? I cant find a definite answer in the forum or plans. Many suggest to use an 8" flue for a 36" oven instead of the plan recommended 6".

I have attached two jpeg drawings to hopefully demonstrate my variances for the inner arch placement.

Bricks, tiles, and mortar are being delivered today. Thanks for any and all advice on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with vent floor size-37.5-oven-plan.jpg   Help with vent floor size-2012-01-26-05.39.42.jpeg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post

Is there an optimal distance from center?

Also, it seems reasonable that the vent funnel area should be at least as wide as the flue. I have drawn a 7.5" depth of funnel area for a 6" flue. Is this too much? I cant find a definite answer in the forum or plans. Many suggest to use an 8" flue for a 36" oven instead of the plan recommended 6".

I have attached two jpeg drawings to hopefully demonstrate my variances for the inner arch placement.

Bricks, tiles, and mortar are being delivered today. Thanks for any and all advice on this.
I pushed my flue arch even further into the dome using bricks that reach back into the dome as they go up. The outside of the brick was almost even with the outside of the dome at the first course and reached back into the progressively further in each chain.

This method significantly reduces the dreaded teardrop effect.

Use this thought when building the inner arch.

The inside edges of the brick are defined by the inner radius of the dome. The bricks of the inner arch will take on a shape resembling a pointer with the lower side following the inner radius of the oven.

And the upper surface of the pointer being defined by a vector radiating from the center of the oven.

Read the post Octoforno for a much more detailed description and photos.

My post Chip's 42 in Minnesota also.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 01-26-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Chip. Need to do more drawing to get my head wrapped around this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Also, it seems reasonable that the vent funnel area should be at least as wide as the flue. I have drawn a 7.5" depth of funnel area for a 6" flue. Is this too much? I cant find a definite answer in the forum or plans. Many suggest to use an 8" flue for a 36" oven instead of the plan recommended 6". "

I believe the advantages of a shallow vent area outweigh the difficulty in building it. It is possible to make the flue gallery only as wide as the flue pipe itself, by incorporating decent funelling in the design. This then leaves you with an oven that is much easier to work, particularly if you make the entry fairly wide as well. My oven entry is only 5" and the same size as my flue pipe. The oven is a dream to work.

If you plan on a 6" flue you can simply make the flue taller to increase the draft. That way you also get the advantage of a shallower entry.

Last edited by david s; 01-27-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Thought of more