Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Serf

Default Re: Help No Insulation!

If you don't have the heart to tear it all down, consider smashing the floor and adding insulation board under free floating bricks and insulating the vault. You will lose some vault height but it should be worth it. The walls may still be in contact with the slab, but at least the floor will heat properly and minimize heat lost without rebuilding the whole oven.

I built my oven with the same form but did not follow any of the directions that were provided. My oven is hearth has 5 inches of perlite under it which I hope will be enough. I did not insulate the concrete under the chimney since I don't expect the chimney to get super hot compared to the rest of the vault. Do you guys see any issue by not insulating the front portion of the chimney? I did add a small gap between the hearth floor and concrete entry way as a thermal break also.

The form is nice and simple but as you all said the instructions are crap.
Attached Thumbnails
Help No Insulation!-oven.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fei8lo View Post
I built my oven with the same form but did not follow any of the directions that were provided. My oven is hearth has 5 inches of perlite under it which I hope will be enough.
5" is heaps.

Quote:
I did add a small gap between the hearth floor and concrete entry way as a thermal break also.
Great, that will stop a lot of heat escaping, more ovens should incorporate a TB.

Are/did you insulate over the top?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Great, that will stop a lot of heat escaping, more ovens should incorporate a TB.
The gap is only 1/16 -1/8 of an inch but that i hope is enough of a thermal break for the hearth. The doorway and chimney still connect the dome and hearth to the entry way slab but I hope this path is indirect enough to minimize heat lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Are/did you insulate over the top?
I plan to insulate the whole oven with perlite. I will get 5 inches around the side and top but only have enough room for 3-4 in the back. I am not sure if the fire curing process should be done first or the insulation poured before firing.

I overbuilt as much as I could. 6 inch foundation slab. block wall filled with concrete. Oven base slab another 5 inches of concrete and rebar tying it all together. The oven part on the other hand I have no experience with so I have been planning and engineering. The feedback really helps.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
The gap is only 1/16 -1/8 of an inch but that i hope is enough of a thermal break for the hearth. The doorway and chimney still connect the dome and hearth to the entry way slab but I hope this path is indirect enough to minimize heat lose.
With domes its hard to have a proper all inclusive TB, but hey, anything to retain the heat in the oven is great.