Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Help Me Build Mobile Oven

Hi Dmun
Thanks for the response

Quote:
The refractory material that modular ovens are made of is much the same as firebrick, but they are formed and fired in large oven-shaped segments. Anyone who has done anything with large scale pottery knows that this is a non-trivial exercise and that's why they are expensive. The difference between these, and brick built ovens, is that there are few joints, and those that exist are not structural, the oven would hold together without any mortar at all.
What sort of oven design would you suggest I follow that caters for a solid oven even though it maybe a time consuming exercise, I don't mind trying it?

Unfortunately for me to buy a factory built oven is not much of an option. Other than the price tag that comes with it, I can't seem to find one locally. That's the reason, my only option is to build one myself.

I am so sure there are step by step instructions on a design that caters for the oven I am looking for. I will just have to proportionately build it to the required size and also look at ways of attaching it to a trailer.

Regards
Oven_Man
Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Apprentice

Smile Re: Help Me Build Mobile Oven

Hi Guys

David: I may have found a supplier of an oven that is fairly light (approx 160-170 KG), is made out of refractory material and can be built to the size I require.

Only problem is it's not mobile.
That's where I need your assistance.
Can you give me more in site onto how you attached wheels to your oven as the oven I am looking to purchase would be built to my specification and I could always ask the manufacturer to attach these wheel in the way that you advise. I guess once I have wheels, rolling it off and on the trailer wont be a problem and would make the oven fairly mobile for me to move around.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards
Oven_Name
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Check out my set up on p 12 Finished ovens. I used a lightweight Hebel (aerated, reinforced concrete base held by a steel cradle sitting on a wooden trolley. The wheels are not castors and wont turn. This is an advantage because the trolley has to move forward and backward and castors only like to move in one direction. I level, raise and lower the trailer with the jockey wheel.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I easily roll the oven on and off the trailer on my own and then the trailer is free to use for other stuff.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Apprentice

Hi David.
I looked at the pics.
I have a few questions.

I notice that the base of your oven has handles on it. That portion that the handles are attached to, is metal right. Can you give me more info as to what that is and if you have a pic of it showing that portion in detail, it would be great.

I also notice that the part I am talking about above sits onto a wooden board. What is that board and can you detail me a bit on it.

Finally I can see the wheels attached to the wooden board. That looks quite straight forward.

I have never heard of a Jockey wheel before so I have Googled it and found some info on it. What type of Jockey wheel do you have? I notice that many people use it for trailers. How did you incorporate yours into the oven. Sorry If I am asking a dumb question. I just never heard of this before so It's something totally new to me.

I look forward to hearing from you
Regards
Oven_Man

Last edited by Oven_Man; 07-22-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The steel cradle has handles welded to it and is made from 1/4" galv steel angle with two 1/4" flat bar rails on the bottom. This sits on the wooden trolley and the wooden boards on the side hold it in position. The 6 wheels are rated to 45 Kg load each
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

Correct me if I am wrong. Your oven sits onto a steel cradle. I am assuming that the Base of your oven is Cemented onto the Steel Cradle which in turn is probably screwed onto the wooden trolley. I am planning on using the same principle you used so If possible can you maybe draw up a more or less design of your cradle and wooden trolley. It would really help me.

Secondly as I mentioned previously, I am about to purchase the WFO from a local supplier. I am just a bit concerned at the fact that I am not very clued up when it comes to ovens. I don't want the supplier to catch me in buying something that is inferior. I want to ask them tons of questions on the oven but I dont know what to ask. Could you guys advise me on what to question them on to ensure I am buying a good oven?

Really appreciated everyone's help so far
Regards
Oven_Man
Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oven man,
No the supporting slab sits in the steel cradle (angle section) and it in turn sits on the wooden trolley with timber sides to hold it in place. Have a look at the oven you propose to buy and see how you can set it up. It may come with some kind of supporting slab already.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 AM
Apprentice

Hi David

I am going to try and take pics of the oven this weekend.
I will try and post it here.

From what I know so far, the oven does sit on a supporting slab.
Does you slab just sit in the Steel Cradle? What holds it in place since it could tilt out from the cradle and you would have a disaster?

The Steel Cradle attached to the Wooden trolley seems pretty straight forward but my concern is the Oven Supporting Slab on the steel Cradle.

Thanks so much for all you help so far.
Really appreciate it.

Regards
Oven_Man
Old 07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No, Its weight holds it in place and the turnbuckles hold it down, but you'll have to see what you can set up yourself.