Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Help I used the wrong castable....suggestions?

This sounds like a mixed blessing type problem. WFOs are made out of just about everything imaginable. I can't imagine it being a big problem for pizza where you want flames and heat loss is not a big deal and a shorter heat up time is nice.

One question is what the floor is made of. If it is your refractory mix you may have to pull coals out to heat soak it more often but...whether it is every pizza or every third pizza is not a particularly big deal.

I would tend to put an inch or two of additional denser cement over the dome IF I could (and I did on my FB oven - just to give it some extra mass) but again it is not going to be critical.)

Putting some extra bricks in when doing bread MIGHT be beneficial but it will make cleaning out the oven a bit more tricky.

My bet is that it is well within the range of WFOs that work reasonably well. Biggest issue may be that you can only get one batch of bread per heating or that your temp drops such that you won't have as big a window for baking roasts, etc, after doing pizza or bread, and that is a good reason to insulate, insulate, insulate. But I will bet it is not a big problem for you.

Each of our ovens have their own peculiarities and yours will too and you will learn the oven and make it work!

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Serf

Thanks for the responses.

Yep have been through the 7 day curing process at this stage to get rid of all moisture. Was just wondering if at the end of this curing process I should be getting the dome white?

Jay, my floor is made of one inch think refractory bricks or tiles as they are sometimes called and they are sitting on 2 inches of calcium silicate board. Thanks for the encouragement- its a bit frustrating starting and then learning that you recieved some bad advice on the product to use. Will go to town on the insulation since i have purchased it all anyway.

If I dont get the heat retention i need then i will likely get inside the dome and render it with some denser refractory cement-it seems like this is the most sensible place to put it if the other castable has insulating qualities.

Will post some photos when I return from holidays in about a month!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Journeyman

Bill1, whose product did you use? We have had success with SILA brand ex W.A. Also the height of the dome internally, what is it? Ok, just saw it was Shiralite 140 MW. This is Shinigawa's medium weight 1400 grade insulating castable. NOT a good dome material. If you choose to redo the dome, get some Silacast 135. Density of 2200kg/m3 vs 1400kg/m3 that you have used.

Last edited by Johnny the oven man; 04-29-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Serf

Pretty sure it was the Sila brand- will have to check though. It seems to be working well anyway- when the walls of the oven were too hot to touch after 4 hours of a largish fire on the final stage of curing there was a just noticeable warmth on the underside of my slab- but that is more likely because the walls of the dome were poured directly onto it. As you'd expect the walls are quite thick at the bottom anyway- maybe 100mm.

The dome height internally is 43cm, and the opening height is 27cm. The internal diameter is 1.2m.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Journeyman

Dome height looks OK. PM me if you need any info.