Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: help to choose size of an oven

39.3" (1 meter) describes the Artigiano100, which is a really popular oven. It might be the Gloldilocks scenario; not too big and not too small. :-)

I think the best way to minimize the hearth size is to wrap the oven in 4" of FB Blanket -- with no additional vermiculite required. That minimizes the overall width and depth.

I always think that getting maximum oven space for whatever your commitment is to the overall hearth and enclosure is a really good idea.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with James. A meter-ish wide oven would probably suit your purposes. I suggest you really download the plans for the pompeii oven and study them. The plans work and are something that you can take to your local offices to apply for a permit. You will also be able to determine the size of the base that you need, based on the size of the oven you decide on.

Once you've read the plans a couple of times, ask some more questions. Only you can decide what you want. I want a Ferarri. What do you want?

-
Old 02-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Because of the mathematics of area and volume a mere 20% increase in diameter creates a volume that is double. Double the volume and you also double the fuel consumption. I'm a believer of small is better, less weight, less materials, cheaper and faster to build, less space required and you tend to use it far more often. My oven is only 540mm in diameter yet we cook anything from a turkey to roasts, breads and pizzas. It's all a matter of management.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good input David S. Just over half-a-meter is pretty small. I'm glad it works for your purposes. As you say, it's a matter of management.

-
Old 02-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Because of the mathematics of area and volume a mere 20% increase in diameter creates a volume that is double. Double the volume and you also double the fuel consumption. I'm a believer of small is better, less weight, less materials, cheaper and faster to build, less space required and you tend to use it far more often. My oven is only 540mm in diameter yet we cook anything from a turkey to roasts, breads and pizzas. It's all a matter of management.
I agree. My WFO is 42" and it's huge..... and takes forever to heat up.

If I had a do over.. 36" for me.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Peasant

If anyone has any suggestion? Low or high opening which would be best for pizza
Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestion? Low or high opening which would be best for pizza
Your entry should be in proportion to the height of the dome: Roughly two thirds of the dome height. High domes have high entries, low for low. Your question is really about the height of the dome: Some purists demand a low dome for pizza, but really, the half-sphere shape works just fine.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Peasant

Question Re: help to choose size of an oven

:Happy Valentines Everyone,

I have a question about the size of an oven. I am going with a 39 inch oven with a high vault. For the interior height would I use the 42 inch measurements for the 39 inch oven? The measurements are interior height 21inches, opening width is 20 inches and opening height is 12.5 inches for the arch. Would that be correct? Also using the oven for making pizza would this be the right size.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Peasant

here are some pictures of the tempelate over the oven
Attached Thumbnails
help to choose size of an oven-0214091448-00.jpg   help to choose size of an oven-0214091449-00.jpg   help to choose size of an oven-0214091449-01.jpg   help to choose size of an oven-0214091449-02.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a 1 meter oven and I would not want anything smaller - mainly becasue having room for a good fire and flames pretty much takes up half of the oven and leaves you with the other half for cooking. It is amazing how little room that leaves for maneuvering the pizza around...

Good Luck!
Jay