Old 07-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Peasant

Exclamation Re: Getting started in Arkansas

I have a big part of the weekend to dedicate toward this project. I have the wood to build concrete forms with and the rebar to reinforce the slab. I have to work some today then get started.

Before I can get to the rebar or the forms, I have to know how you guys cut or ground out reliefs in the block for the lintels. I have an angle grinder but while at home depot I couldnt find any grinding stones for it. What did you use?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Getting started in Arkansas

You need a diamond wheel. They should have them in the tool crib at the big box stores, or they might be in the flooring department
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Peasant

Thank you Dmun. I got one of those and it did the trick.

I am curious about something else now. I am looking to create the curved landing on the front of the oven and am not sure how to bend the 1x4 I bought to create it. Any advice on this?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Master Builder

I used luan plywood to form curves and circles.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Peasant

Thanks for all the replies.
What I ended up doing was cutting a million little slits about 1/4" deep through the 1x4 to make it more pliable. This did work out very nicely.

I like how this looks and can begin to see the oven actually sitting in my back yard.

Not so pleased with the pour as it looks like we mixed it on the dry side. I need to think of some good ways to hide the face of the curved landing... Following the instructions on the Quikrete site just didnt cut it. I think next time I will use more water...
Old 07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I know it was overkill,"

Maybe, but in all my years around construction sites, I have yet to hear anyone say "Damn, I put it too much rebar".
Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=...I ended up doing was cutting a million little slits about 1/4" deep through the 1x4 to make it more pliable[/QUOTE]

Ingenious (well at least to me ) Glad it worked.

Regarding your dry concrete, others 'parged' their imperfect concrete. You could do that to fill any pits or cracks and then an acid stain to give it a mottled, rustic look. Or you can put a tile or stone facade on it.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasOven View Post
another attempt

This was a direct upload and not a link to my picasa pictures. Any hints?

This is now 5 courses high and I need to get rebar and concrete to fill the voids instead of doing the mortar trick.
I would like to learn how to pour the insulation layer on top and leave a void for the firebrick cooking surface like I have seen done with other builds here. Its a clean look I think I would like to have.

Anyone else building a Vault style oven for bread/pizza?
Hello, ArkansasOven!
I am a newbie and was just about to start.
I was hesitating how to start when i see your work, which inspires me very much.
it is pretty cool, guy! Good job.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Peasant

Dino,
Im not sure if I understand the 'parged' idea unless its like spackling over drywall screws or something similar. I like the idea of acid staining, but not sure about how I could polish it. I have read threads here on the idea but not seen any pictures.

Benny,
Im glad that I inspired you to start. I wanted to get started last year then things came up. I started buying materials this year and then found it difficult to get the slab poured and then all of a sudden everything came together. I sure hope I have this done and buttoned up before the cold weather, looking forward to pizzas and bread!!

Progress so far... I do have the hearth and insulating slabs poured but at the moment I cant find the pictures. They will be uploaded ASAP tho.
Thanks to everyone who have made this site possible and to those who continue to share. Seeing what others have done have not only inspired me but it has inspired me to try things I otherwise would not have.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Parging is simply stucco. The actual term differs only in that is generally used to denote stucco done with less care for appearance, and more as a utilitarian method. That is, you parge the smoke chamber of a fireplace, but you stucco the chase.