Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Getting started

Look at post 25 of this link.

It gives the same type of geometry as a strap hinge but he calls it a lazy Susan.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...lia-14634.html (Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia)

Chip
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

In regard to sanding - I did it. If you can run an edge over the brick with it not catching - you are golden. About the IT - didn't use it. It seems to me that it will work for whatever radius you want. What size are you building?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Peasant

A 36 inch oven
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Apprentice

I did my oven with a half soldier resting on the insulation board, didn't adjust anything else and my IT worked fine. The IT will place the bricks along a perfect half circle, centered on whatever height you have the pivot of the IT. The lazy susan idea that Chip linked to will give you a lower dome, but I believe that's independent of your soldier height. If your soldiers are especially tall, then your first non-soldier coarse won't line up perfectly, but probably not to enough to be particularly noticeable. Hopefully that makes sense?

-Ryan
Old 11-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Peasant

Took advantage of the great weather today got the soldier course mortared in and the first chain all went together pretty fast. Just had to make some awkward cuts around the arch. (obviously a layout or math error somewhere but making it work.

Want to buitld the arch next using the method of extending the arch back to the curve of the dome just having a difficult time visualizing how to use my IT to mark the bricks. If my guesses are correct the length (depth ?) of the bricks at the top of the arch should be about 7 inches. I built my IT using the method that Mr. Chipster developed works great! Thanks Chip !

So any ideas on how these arch brick should be marked? Mine is not a pure arch as the opening in a 36" oven is too small this way. I have straight sides 7 inches high and then the arch starts going up to 12 inches. I'm just not getting the visualization of marking the bricks Help!!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Peasant

Forgot to mention I'm using the FB homebrew. Any ideas for keeping the mortar warm until it cures as the temperatureare supposed to drop into the thirties this weekend. Was hoping to get the arch finished and maybe a couple more courses laid. Will be out of brick then and the brickyard is taking a long weekend.((
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe this will help. This is from GianniFoccacia's thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting started-hemiarch.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreed View Post
Forgot to mention I'm using the FB homebrew. Any ideas for keeping the mortar warm until it cures as the temperatureare supposed to drop into the thirties this weekend. Was hoping to get the arch finished and maybe a couple more courses laid. Will be out of brick then and the brickyard is taking a long weekend.((
Tarp it and have a space heater or lamp to keep the temperature under the tarp at sufficient level.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the replies. Here's a photo catually have the first chain on top of the soldier course.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting started-121122_152408.jpg  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

To help keeping mortar out of the crack between the floor and your soldier course put some duct tape over the crack. This will prevent mortar from getting in there and causing expansion issues later on.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log