Old 10-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Getting started

Well the build has started! Pads are poured and the four concrete block piers are completed (no pics of those yet) tomorrow will start framing up the supports for the hearth pour hopefully by next weekend!!
Attached Thumbnails
Getting started-017.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its bad practice to have four independent pads like that holding a suspended slab, when one of the pads move the suspended slab will crack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Master Builder

You're going to be standing in mud on rainy days or after? Thats not pleasant.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Peasant

Brickie I understand the inherent problems of having four seperate pads however since this placement is temporary I felt it was the best way to go so it will be easy to move when the time comes.

As far as standing in mud goes I decised to not put down any finish until after the build is complete. So here's some more photos.

I also found out that building block piers and keeping everything plumb and level is more difficult than building a wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting started-121017_181005.jpg   Getting started-121021_150750.jpg   Getting started-121021_185138.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Peasant

So the weather and time have all come together yesterday I got the strucrtural hearth poured and the form put together for the vermicrete insulating hearth. I didn't form up for the landing as I am planning a thermal break. So if I am thinking correctly because of the thermal break there is no need for the thermal hearth underneath it. Am I thinking correctly on this ? Oh and here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting started-121025_184550.jpg   Getting started-121111_172805.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Peasant

Got the insulating hearth pored tonight pics to follow was dark when I finished. Hopefully Sunday will start laying the cooking floor and maybe start the dome. Going to a Russian Festival in Kalamazoo tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreed View Post
So the weather and time have all come together yesterday I got the strucrtural hearth poured and the form put together for the vermicrete insulating hearth. I didn't form up for the landing as I am planning a thermal break. So if I am thinking correctly because of the thermal break there is no need for the thermal hearth underneath it. Am I thinking correctly on this ? Oh and here's some pics.
you also want insulation under the landing there is still heat tranfered via a thermal break.

Chip
Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Apprentice

I honestly don't see much point in insulting beyond thermal break. Most of the heat transferred there will be radiated so it's not like it'll do much to prevent it in any case.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Peasant

I made the jump and insulated under the landing. The insulative hearth is five inches thick of 7:1 vermiculite concrete. With a bit of luck will be laying the cooking floor tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Peasant

Finished installing the floor seems pretty flat has a couple of gaps between bricks larger than I like nothing major though. I have read about those that are planning on using a belt sander on their floor to make sure it's flat. Is this really necessary or are they over thinking?

I am starting my soldier course from the insulating hearth rather than sitting on the cooking floor as per the plans. The height of the brick above the cooking floor is 4.5" just like a brick cut in half. Is their any adjustment I need to make in building my IT for this? or is the radius of the dome the correct length. just don't want to end up with a too high dome. Any thoughts?

It was suggested to me that I might need to use an strap hinge to make my IT to compensate for the soldier height. I can't seem to find a thread about this situation.

Thanks