Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Getting my barrel started!

Started the poor yesterday afternoon. Finished up around 9 p
. Probably mixed it a bit on the wet side, but 17 bags later it's formed. Put some old sheets on top and I'm turning on the sprinkler every hour or so.

When can I take the forms off?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Any time you want.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Journeyman

Rotterdam......it's best to leave the forms on as long as you can, but if they need to come off, nothing bad will happen, other than some possible chipping of the edges and the edges drying out faster. The longer they stay on, the better. Also, it's not a good idea to keep wetting the slab. That can do more harm than good, sometimes. Covering it is good, but not adding more water to the surface. The rule of thumb is to slow down the drying process, keeping the moisture in the slab as long as is practical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks like you have a center wall. But, it would be a good idea to leave any supports under the short suspended areas of the slab for at least 3 days. I really like 7 better, though .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Journeyman

After reading Gulf's response, I agree w/him. I hadn't looked at your suspended slab foundation photos. I thought you were referring to the edge slab forms. I would leave the braces and forms underneath on for as long as you can. Yes, 7 days at a minimum, in my opinion. The longer the better, for all of them. Forms help keep moisture in a slab. That's what you want. But, just the water that's already in the slab, not extra water on the surface.The best thing for the surface is an impermeable cover, such as plastic. In one piece, if possible.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 07-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

NCman, what are you basing your recommendations upon?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Peasant

Well I pulled the forms off. Looks pretty good! Thanks the advice unfortunately I pulled the forms from underneath. The finished thickness was 4.3 inches. The vibrating sander did a great job of removing air. There are a few blemishes in the service I would like to polish out. Any recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails
Getting my barrel started!-image.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Peasant

Picture of it after I pulled the forms.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting my barrel started!-image.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=Rotterdam;17The vibrating sander did a great job of removing air. There are a few blemishes in the service I would like to polish out. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

There should not be very much of your hearth slab exposed after it is finished .

Edit: Looks great to me

Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Peasant

Correct after it's all said in done there will be an 8" curved ledge in front.