Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Serf

Default Re: Fyrston's 42 in Cen Cal

I had to readjust the floor insulation from the previous photo. I've been cruising the forums for some time now and am always upset when I come back into the house to reference another build and it's like "why didn't I see that post before?" Damn
Old 09-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Why don't you flip the landing over and the corner chip will be underneath. Tip, also run a strip of duct tap between you first row and floor. This will keep mortar from dropping down the expansion gap and minimize potential dome cracking.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Why don't you flip the landing over and the corner chip will be underneath. Tip, also run a strip of duct tap between you first row and floor. This will keep mortar from dropping down the expansion gap and minimize potential dome cracking.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I'm going in a different direction with the landing. There's a decorative brick that I'm thinking of putting in there. At there very least that brick at the entry will be cut way down. As for the tape issue, that's one of those "why didn't I see that before" times. I've already dropped some down the gap and have to lift the floor before I move any farther. Keep the tips coming tho I appreciate it all.

By the way, if you have any tips for the arch and transition that would help. I've already made the form and have to figure out how to cut the bricks and transitions. I've read a lot on here but not much as far as how to get it done.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fyr,

Here is link for one of threads I used for my taper arch. If you read it all it covers how to use your IT to help establish the angles for both a full arch and partial arch. I also have quite a few pics on my Picassa album that might help you visualize the process.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post111125 (OctoForno)

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Laborer

Good link(s) Russell.

If you notice on OctoForno's build he cut grooves in the top of his brick. I think they are helpful in the later courses to keep the brick in place but I cut them on the bottoms as the brick is more likely to move than the mortar. Also if you mortar the brick one at a time (as opposed to a course) adjustments become less messy as you won't get mortar on your saw.