Old 10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Serf

Default Re: Foundation

Aegis looking good. After the feed back here and thinking about it a bit I think im just going to set mine on a 6 or 8 inch deep pad. I noticed your pad ontop of your cinder blocks sits ontop of the block. Alot of these builds I see they use rebar to suspend that pad between the block with a 1inch gap between the block and pad. Is there any differance to these two methods?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Journeyman

Hi Mike,
I am following the forno Bravo Pompeii oven directions. The reason for the suspended pad in a bread builders Allan Scott type oven is to isolate the heat transfer from the oven to the stand. I am using 4" of foamglas under my oven which, from what I have read will be enough insulation on the bottom of my hearth. The cold weather is arriving here, so I will finish the patio pavers and wait till spring to start the actual oven. This will be good for me to finish the details of the oven construction. I was shooting for a 42" round oven but will end up with a 38 or 40" dome instead. I could use the side space for extra insulation. Good Luck on your build, another oven is being completed in Oxford Ct. by Bob, I can only hope my dome comes out half as good as his did! He did a FANTASTIC job! Here is a link to his posts http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html (Pizza Bob's 42" Build) He has great pics and documentation to boot!

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Alot of these builds I see they use rebar to suspend that pad between the block with a 1inch gap between the block and pad.
This is really bad masonry construction practice. Rebar should be completely buried in the concrete, or it will rust, swell, and break apart the slab. It's also not very good for thermal isolation because steel conducts heat better than concrete.

Please, for your own sake, read the FB pompeii instructions. They are based on the actual experience of multiple builders, not one persons ideas.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Journeyman

I should have added I would never suspend concrete with rebar. It may last the builders lifetime, you maybe (with a big fork lift) move it with you to another house. But it will fail much, much sooner than the pompeii build. It is just not a good engineering practice to put such a relatively weak link in the structure. Thermal isolation and expansion/contraction issues included, this does not adhere to safe engineering design. because when it fails, the possible safety and damage could be significant. Hot oven with hot coals and someone getting wood out of the bottom to feed the fire... you can get a sense of the inherent dangers.
Sorry for not posting this, as it would have been negligent on my part for omitting it.
Thanks
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 10-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Hi Mike,
I am following the forno Bravo Pompeii oven directions. The reason for the suspended pad in a bread builders Allan Scott type oven is to isolate the heat transfer from the oven to the stand. I am using 4" of foamglas under my oven which, from what I have read will be enough insulation on the bottom of my hearth. The cold weather is arriving here, so I will finish the patio pavers and wait till spring to start the actual oven. This will be good for me to finish the details of the oven construction. I was shooting for a 42" round oven but will end up with a 38 or 40" dome instead. I could use the side space for extra insulation. Good Luck on your build, another oven is being completed in Oxford Ct. by Bob, I can only hope my dome comes out half as good as his did! He did a FANTASTIC job! Here is a link to his posts http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html (Pizza Bob's 42" Build) He has great pics and documentation to boot!

I have read all 19 pages of that thread
Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Journeyman

Hi Mike,
I was wondering on what you decided to do for your slab/foundation. I did get my patio pavers down but not much else. Leaves, job, etc. eats into my time. Winter is here so back to the design stage. I will be looking at the exterior design and what to use for a roof. Let me know how you are doing and I will of course let you know if my slab/sono tube design makes it through the winter without frost damage.
Happy Thanksgiving
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Serf

Hey John
Im still reading the forums and surfing the net for ideas. I think im just going to dig down 8 inches add some gravel and pour a slab with some rebar in it. I do have some left over soni tube in my shed so I think I will add that also.

I sent Bob in Oxford a pm and he sent me alot of contact places for supplies and offered to show me his stove and have pizza just so darn busy.

Im going to collect all my materials over the winter and start after the thaw. I want to keep a low profile so I think im going to finish it igloo style.

How is your stove comming along??

Mike
Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I think im just going to dig down 8 inches add some gravel and pour a slab with some rebar in it. I do have some left over soni tube in my shed so I think I will add that also.
Using sonotube protrusions below your slab is a bad idea, unless you use the forms to create proper footings below the frost line. Just having a few cylinders of concrete poking down just gives the ice lenses something to grab on to.

The conventional wisdom stands: Pour a reinforced four inch slab on well drained crushed stone, or dig below the frost line and pour footings on undisturbed soil. Doing a little bit of each is not a good idea.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Agree with dmun. Sonotube piers, if installed properly can be effective. As a minimum they should:

- Extend a foot or so below the frost line and be "belled" out at the bottom to prevent frost jacking.
- They should not be connected to at grade slab.