Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: form for barrel type oven

Nice Tscarborough

And if you go to the nearest new subdivision (after hours), you can get the surveyors stakes for free.

Last edited by Neil2; 08-17-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: form for barrel type oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
Nice Tscarborough

And if you go to the nearest new subdivision (after hours), you can get the surveyors stakes for free.
Do you mean after dark?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As one who has worked as a surveyor, what takes you seconds to "borrow" takes hours to replace. Lathes are cheap, do not resort to the Midnight Lumber Company as a source.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Peasant

Thanks WJW and Pizzaiolo! I am going to have to use light duty and that form that you built is such a help to me pizzaiolo! I can do that with no problem. When you said to do the brick in running bond not stack bond what exactly did you mean? Is it laying the whole strip of mortar at once for each row and then laying the whole row of brick verses doing one by one? Guys, I can't search for info on the forno bravo forum to get help with my questions because everytime I try it keeps on telling me that the website is not indexed. I've emailed the forno bravo site and still haven't received any help. I still need to know if I am doing all this in the right order. Once I lay all my brick around the form I intend to put 3 inches of ceramic blanket with chicken wire. My question is what goes on top of that and how many inches of it? What's better, vermicrete or perlcrete and what is the ratio? Also, underneath the firebrick cook floor I was going to have the 2 inches of fb board on top of pavers. Is that enough insulation for underneath the cooking floor? Your help is greatly appreciated...Maddy
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Peasant

Hi Pizzaiolo,

I have one more question. What size oven did that form make. It looks like you used 30 lathes. Do you remember the dimensions? Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Journeyman

Hm...(your name is hard to type so I'm going to call you hm...no disrespect intended)...

First of all, "Pizzaiolo" is a ranking on this site basaed upon the number of posts a person has made. You start off as peasant I think...and you ultimately reach the level of Il Pizzaiolo. The guy you are corresponding with is "tscarbourough", or "Tom". In my opinion, there are two or three masonry experts who regularly post around here. Tom is one of those two or three guys. So he's defintely worth listening to. (I hear he's a terrible dancer though...so it all balances out in the end.)

As far as you not being able to search...I don't know what to say. There is a menu bar with a bunch of choices. "Search" is one of those choices. Click on that, and you should be able to type in a seach string such as "insulation thickness" and do a search. I know you already said you are not internet savvy, but you need to master that so you can mine this site for info.

Bill
Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Peasant

Thanks Bill, I was wondering how my name went from Serf to Pheasant! I will try searching the site the way you said. I am not use to these forums and yes I am not that great with the internet. I apologize to Tom also for calling him Pizziola, I thought that was his forum name. I found medium duty firebrick for $3 each, not cheap. I might do the cook floor with the medium duty and the dome with the low duty. Right now I am looking for an old welding table to build this oven on. I really don't want to get into all the heavy cinder blocks, etc. No luck so far but if worse comes to worse I will have to build something. Today I am going to look for the ceramic blanket on line. Thanks again...Maddy
Old 08-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Master Builder

type in "perlite" into the search box at the top of the page and you will have an evenings worth of reading.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Low duty are all you need, so long as they are not insulating firebrick. Here is the build thread for my barrel vault:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/begun-8852.html (It is begun)

And here is a direct link to the pictures with very little explanations:

Outdoor Kitchen

I can't remember the size, maybe 20" wide x 32" deep. It is not quite wide enough though when I am cooking 16" pizzas with a fire on the side. Personally, I would not build a barrel vault, I would build a rectangular low dome about 32" wide x 36" deep with a 14.5" ceiling and 9x18 door.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Peasant

Beautiful pictures Tscarborough, may I ask why you would build a rectangle oven instead of a vault? My oven is not going to be covered like yours because I need to build this oven in the easiest way possible. Would the heat circulate the same way in a rectangular oven as it would in a vault style? Did you use medium or low duty firebrick for your oven? Keep up the good work and thanks so much for the info...Maddy