Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Footers no footers (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/footers-no-footers-6964.html)

KraemerBAC 06-08-2009 11:34 AM

Footers no footers

Hello all,

Just getting started and though I would ask around the forum for advice. I can't seenm to get any consistant answers from the people I do know. I live in southern Wisconsin and am getting ready to pour my slab. The question of the day is can I pour the slab thick and let it "float" like a driveway or do I need to sink footers.. Any advice is most certainly welcome. I look forward to getting started.

Peter

Neil2 06-08-2009 05:28 PM

Re: Footers no footers

"is can pour the slab thick and let it "float" like a driveway"

Yes.

Provided the sub base material is relatively uniform.

Something like 5 inches thick and reinforced well so that it can bridge settlement and ride out frost heaving with out cracking.

blacknoir 06-08-2009 05:49 PM

Agreed, if it's not attached to anything.

wronguy 06-08-2009 06:13 PM

I would like to know this as well, I live in Ontario and we have a frost line of 3-4 ft. I was planning on doing footers, but obviously I don't want to because of the extra digging, I would rather put it on 6inch gravel and than 1ft of concrete. This would be of great help. Thanks

KraemerBAC 06-08-2009 07:08 PM

Thanks for the guidance, I had planned on a good base of crushed paving base and/or gravel and sand followed by a minimum of 10-12 inches of reinforced concrete. It will not be attatched to anything..

timo 06-11-2009 07:59 AM

I am a bit south of you in Illinois and just got done with my foundation. The one thing I've learned is you need excellent drainage. Keeping the water level low and having the gravel dry is really going to help keep the heaving down.

I ran 4" drain tile around the perimeter of my foundation and ran it away to my neighbor's yard (That's a joke, I didn't really). I think drainage issues need to be elevated in oven foundation planning.

KraemerBAC 06-11-2009 08:20 AM

Timo,

Thanks for the suggestions.. Drainage may be a problem but at least there is a pretty easy fix. I say may because I live on a bluff so while the spot in my yard is a little low overall the yard is "high".

By the way, how far south. A visit may be in order

Peter

dbhansen 06-11-2009 09:41 AM

As someone with a deep, hand-dug foundation, I highly recommend a floating slab! :p

JeffAdams 06-12-2009 04:13 AM

Journeyman, why after the work of the foundation do you recommend slab? Is it the labor or does it function better?

dbhansen 06-12-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffAdams (Post 57585)
Journeyman, why after the work of the foundation do you recommend slab? Is it the labor or does it function better?

The labor. A deep foundation is presumably more stable than a slab, but I'm not sure that the labor is worth it if you're hand-digging, at least in the northern part of the country.

Daren