Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Serf

Default Re: Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above

James,
I know this post is really old but I was wondering if there was any progress made on the dual fireplce pizza oven. I really appreciate the images that have been posted as part of this link because the website it references doesn't appear to give you access...

TIA
Pat
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Serf

I just saw this post. I guess I'm not the first crazy person to want their cake and eat it too... or pizza, fireplace and smoker. I finished the pizza dome this weekend and am beginning on the chimney. We have had several great fires in "Fireplace mode". I can't wait to see if it will cook a pizza.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

the dynamics of a white oven are quite different from a conventional pizza oven. The hearth will be hotter (for it is above the flame) and the dome will be cooler than when licked with flames so the cooking dynamics will be differnent and will almost certianly demand some experiementation relative to our normal ovens to find the right combo of time/temp/results....
Jay
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Serf

Why can't you have a fireplace with a chimney and it's own flue and. Then a pizza oven on the side or behind with its own vent/chimney running parallel to the fireplace's with some sort of plate that could be slid in or out to either "connect" or "separate" the 2 chimneys?

It seems this way you could have;

1) a pizza oven with a fire in the dome

2) a slide out "door" in the back of the oven that could join it to the chimney of the fireplace and be used as an ash/coal dump and then possibly use the whole thing as a smoker using the oven as a smoking chamber

3) a fireplace that is capable of being completely separate.

I also want to add a small grilling tray below the pizza oven, but that doesn't complicate the other 2 functions.

Does anyone see any issues with this line of thinking? Obviously I don't know anything about ovens, but was hoping to get some good info from some of you guys. Thanks
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Serf

Hi,

I have seen designs where a fireplace shares the upper portion of a chimney with a WFO. Since we built ours in the front yard on our patio, we were very restricted in size. The combination of fireplace pizza oven with the floor of the oven tilting to become the back of the fireplace works very well. The only difficulty is that when the floor is elevated for the fireplace, there is too much space open for the chimney to draw perfectly. I am cutting a stainless steel plate to be in place when in fireplace mode to reduce the volume and produce better draw.

We have used our WFO as a smoker for Thanksgiving turkey. Building a small fire in the fireplace with the floor down and the door in place worked amazingly well.

I like your idea about a grill. When the floor is up, there is a perfect shelf for a grill.

Hmmm. Pizza oven, fireplace, smoker, grill, baking bread... Everything but a microwave.

We had a wonderful winter with pizza parties ending with a blazing fire in the fireplace. As far as efficiency, two weeks ago, we cooked 60 pizzas for over 50 neighbors and baked a loaf of bread for breakfast

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Mark
Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Serf

I just posted the pictures to Flicker.

Here is the link:

Witness Patio Pizza Oven - a set on Flickr
Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Serf

I'm also interested in building a oven with fire below.

I have seen these available, they claim to reach 350C in 35min. I'm assuming they have less thermal mass.

I was thinking of building something between this and the Japanese oven on page 1.

I'm interested in comments on the following

1. will fire below oven get as hot and cook pizza as well as a traditional
pizza oven?
2. if I use less thermal mass with good insulation will the oven heat up faster and get hot enough. I'm not worried about cooking in it over night or the next morning so I don't see any advantage in it being hot a day after the fire has gone out.

thanks for you input
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above-232625425.jpg   Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above-245049008.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Serf

Unbelievable! Mechanical cooking tray? WOW!

Do you keep a fire going while you cook? How long does the dome retain heat? I'm loving the creativity. I got derailed last summer, but plan on starting my chimney/oven this summer after vacation once the kids are out of school here. I have my slab framed and re-bared out. Just need someone to come pour it.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Serf

i just built a 36" rumford fireplace with a brick oven above and off to the side. due to chimney constraints i could only fit an 18" oven in the width that i had to play with. my experience is that you need a great deal of width due to the flue for the rumford and the thickness of the oven. i'm still in the process of finishing the flue inside the oven (i built a damper mechanism and have to finish the transition of the dome to the flue). i'm not sure how well this oven is going to work to cook pizza, but it should work very well as a bbq/roasting oven! this is the first and probably last oven i ever build and i found it to be quite interesting. i will try to post some pics of the whole process and be interested in what people think!

Rob