Old 11-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Serf

Default Re: Fire Brick Los Angeles Orange County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengineer View Post
Personally I like skoolpsyk for his/her post. It says they joined in December 2005 and here we are almost 3 years later and this was their first post. Talk about lurking!! .
Hey, jengineer, I JOINED in 2005, I had been lurking way before that! lol!

This outdoor kitchen project has been growing to monster proportions and has been delayed soooo many times. But just this week we finally poured 10 yards of mud and plan on pouring another 5 yards tomorrow! So it's finally happening!

Thanks so much for the offer for the saw, but I actually live a few hours from there. I'm up in the Antelope Valley (Palmdale area).

I guess I'll keep trying to get a data sheet on these unless someone comes up with a rock solid source on 30% alumina/50% silica bricks within a fairly reasonable driving distance!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Serf

Well, I took a gamble and bought 200 bricks from a local yard in Palmdale (American Builders supply). I got a data sheet but it didn't really say much. But it seems like these are the right thing, as they are yellow, weight 8lbs, and cost 95 cents each. HC Muddox is the manufacturer....
Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I called Balboa Brick and Supply in the Van Nuys-Northridge area of Los Angeles and they have Pacific Clay firebrick for $1.05. They don't know if it's low-duty, "just firebrick". It's 5 minutes from my house so I'll get those but I'll bring my digital scale to make sure they are around 8lbs and not the heavier kind.
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Journeyman

Dino,
Would you mind posting after you determine if you found the right bricks. I'm still looking for a place to buy mine.

Thanks, Mark
Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark, I'm anxious to cut SOMETHING with my new Harbor Freight Wet Saw so I'll pick up a couple of those bricks today, measure and weight them and let you know.

-Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Apprentice

Dino,

HAAAAHAAA! I know exactly the feeling! That is why I went out and picked up a few fire bricks, cut them, cut a few regular house bricks, a few pieces of flagstone, a couple of rocks, etc., the day I got my saw home!!

It is great fun when new, regardless if it gets to be work when you have cut your 200th brick in half

Travis
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by staestc View Post
It is great fun when new, regardless if it gets to be work when you have cut your 200th brick in half

Travis
Trust me. by the time you get to the 200th brick (at which point you will most likely have been cutting them in thirds for several rounds!) you will wish you could just zap them into pieces with your mental powers. Not because it's hard, just because you want to be finished and you're most thoroughly tired of cutting the @#$% things...

Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

O.K., Here is what fire brick costs in my area:
Balboa Brick (in Van Nuys) has Pacific Clay $1.05 and Muddox $1.50. Then I checked out American Builders Supply (in Saugus and Palmdale) and they carry Muddox for $0.95 each as "skoolpsyk" mentioned above. I'll gladly drive the 20 miles for 95 cent Muddox.

Is Muddox better than Pacific Clay? The Muddox is a bit "smoother" and appears denser, less "ragged" on the larger face than Pac Clay but both are the correct size and weight 7.5lbs. The Muddox website spec sheet only list Low Duty firebrick in their diagram of how to use their product in a fireplace so I'm assuming that's all they sell

Hope this helps-Dino

My Oven Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Serf

you know I didn't even think to look up a Muddox website, but hearing that it only lists low duty makes be feel even better about my purchase! The Palmdale ABS was out of the Pacific Clay so I couldn't compare the two by looks...but it seems like either one would work...