Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Finally Started in Southbury Ct. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/finally-started-southbury-ct-13356.html)

Aegis 06-28-2010 04:30 AM

Finally Started in Southbury Ct.

Well we have finally started the brick oven/ patio build. I am currently planning a pompeii style oven following the forno bravo plans. Size is in the 42" area (38 - 42 ) depending on feedbacjk from site members. I want to use it for baking pizza's (I am hungry already) and bread with the emphasis split between the two. I wanted some feed back from people who have built and are using their ovens how long they retain heat and how much heat retaining mass they used in their ovens.
Here is a link to my progress as of today!
John's Brick Oven Folly - John Lazy's blog - Blog
:D ok so the name has no originality, I am hoping to save originality for the actual build.:rolleyes:
Let me know how and what you used for your hearth layer (two courses of hearth bricks, one? any refactory layers under and over, how thick? insulation where and how much? ) how long does it take for a complete firing/heat soak and how long do you have temps above 450 degrees F ?
Thanks in Advance
John

Jed 06-28-2010 09:44 PM

Re: Finally Started in Southbury Ct.

Hey John,

Glad to hear you are starting an oven build.

I built an oven to the general specifications that Forno Bravo gives in the free Pompeii plan set.

So, I used perlite / cement mix as the insulator under one layer of fire brick (2 1/2 inches thick). I used a fire brick cut in half as the building material for the dome (so the dome walls are 4 1/2 inches thick) and then insulated the dome.

It takes me around two hours to heat my oven to a 'heat saturated' point. If I am attentive when I pull the fire, the oven will be a solid 450 degree's F the following morning, and in the high 200 degree F range by the end of the day following a fire. I can still slow cook something through the night the following day.

If I build another oven, I would use factory insulation below the cooking floor and around the dome to improve heat retention.

Good luck with your build.

JED

Aegis 06-29-2010 03:43 AM

Thanks Jed, I really appreciate the feedback! I am looking at using 4" of foamglass under the hearth for insulation, but also either adding 2" cement under the hearth bricks for more heated mass or laying the firebricks on their side instead of flat. I do see the possiblitiy of many more edges to "catch" a peel on while using it with the "on edge" design That is why I am not committed to either idea as of yet. I love the fact it only takes two hours to totally heat soak your oven and I guess if I want to bake bread the next day another firing of maybe an hour would bring it back up to 500 degrees and keep it there without the added mass. It appears the insulation as it relates to brick ovens is like fun, you cannot have too much of it! So I will adhere to the voices on this forum stating you cannot have too much insulation.
Do you have any pics of your oven? And again thanks for the info, I guess not many people who have a completed oven are on the site much, they are making pizzas! :D

Aegis 08-21-2010 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I am ready for a cement truck to pour the foundation. I dug 8 holes 12"x42" deep for a below frost foundation pillar. Put down 6mil plastic on top of 6" deep 3/4" gravel. I also have put in a 1 1/2 inch electrical conduit for lighting and powering the thermocouple system. Here are a couple of pics of the forms. The left side will be a counter for working and such. On the right another small 2.5' counter.
I'm trying to figure out the insulation under the hearth. I am leaning towards 4" of foamglas, but I am not sure how to secure it and if I need to cover it with something????

Aegis 09-05-2010 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slab is poured and patio based is almost finished. I have the electrical run to a "street" lamp and also lighting and power for thermocouple meter. Here is a pic of the slab.

KraemerBAC 09-05-2010 07:26 PM

I look forward to seeing the progress...

Peter

Aegis 09-11-2010 05:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, I am starting to dry stack my stand and without mortar, this 16" blocks aren't 16 inches. I plan on facing the block with either bricks or a small paver. My question is: Will I have dimension issues with the stand being an un-standard size? Will I have many bricks to cut and fit on the exterior? If so would I be better off to use mortar joints to achieve a standard wall? I have OBVIOUSLY do NOT have any masonry knowledge.
Thanks in Advance

Here is the patio section ready for sand and pavers, next is the first stacking of block for stand! YeeHaw!

Aegis 09-12-2010 09:12 AM

Ok I am playing legos with the cement block, trying different openings to the rear section. I love Dino's side entrance and wanted to simulate that on my build.
Now I have dry stacked four courses high without motar on the bottom course (trying different setups) and I find the blocks are almost perfectly level. My question is do I have to mortar the first course for lateral structural support or is it just for leveling? If leveling is the ONLY concern then I may be good to go. I'll post some pics after the dry stack is done.
Thanks for the help!
John

Aegis 09-18-2010 08:15 PM

I have another question to ask, where to position thermocouples? The Hearth is an obvious place, but should there be more than one in the hearth? And where would those be placed? Front, middle and back? Maybe a couple in the dome and some in the insulating areas?
Also any tip on the placement of electrical conduit thru the hearth slab? And an ash drop needs to be under the flue or outside of the flue area?
Thanks in advance
John

Aegis 09-26-2010 06:05 PM

Lots of questions, I have, answers I have not.... :(