Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Finally Started in Southbury Ct.

John - You do not need to mortar your blocks. Just but rebar in the cores when you fill them with concrete. I have not finished my oven yet but opted to omit the ash drop after reading through this website. Most seem to say it's not worth the effort. You might do a search on ash drops and read what others have said. The same for the thermocouples. The FB plans are really good. - Scott

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
16" blocks aren't 16 inches.
None of them are. They are half an inch off in each dimension to make room for mortar joints and still have their nominal dimensions. If you've never laid block before, you don't want to start now. For something that's so commonly done, it's amazingly difficult to get the mortar to perch on the edge of those hollow blocks. The plans call for dry stacking and filling for a reason.
Quote:
do I have to mortar the first course for lateral structural support or is it just for leveling? If leveling is the ONLY concern then I may be good to go. I'll post some pics after the dry stack is done.
nope, unless you are in an earthquake zone you don't need to mortar the bottom row of blocks except to level it.
Quote:
where to position thermocouples?
About the only use for thermocouples is to measure the heat saturation of the dome, to get repeatable results in bread baking. If pizza is your main goal, then you almost certainly don't need them. If you are a maniac for bread baking, I'd put one (actually two, in case one fails) at the top of the dome, about half way in. That way you'll know if your dome has the same amount of stored heat, hot weather or cold, raging fire or slower one. I can't imagine any use for a thermocouple in the floor. Heat always rises.
Quote:
And an ash drop needs to be under the flue or outside of the flue area?
Again, an ash drop is a bread thing. If you are daily shoveling out live fires to prepare for bread baking, you may want to consider expending the effort and space for an ash drop. If pizza is your primary goal, you'll only have a little bit of ash to shovel out the next day, or before your next bake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Scott and dmun, I have dry stacked the stand and it is extremely level. This was mostly due to my friend who floated the slab nicely. I did quickly find out about the 15 1/2 inch blocks when I took a final measurement of the stand. It helped me with the vertical dimension, since I will be using 4" foamglas under the hearth and I am considering laying firebrick spilts and then regular size firebricks on top of those for the hearth. I am not sure if the extra mass will be needed for bread or not. I will be looking to do both pizza and bread in the oven. It seems to me the walls are 4" thick and to have an even heat soak the hearth would need to be four inches also. I do realize heat travels up and the hearth would normally be cooler, which would compound the bread baking problem. Bread likes a hot bottom for spring/rise, although a brick oven might do that oven spring from all directions, not just bottoms up so to speak. Hmmmm did someone say bottoms up, I'll drink to that!
Thanks for the input on the ash drop, I will be doing bread so I guess I will need to figure out a good form to use for the pour. I will no doubt change my mind a couple of times before I have to commit. It not only will help/hinder the pizza/baking process. But it is also a front facade change, for either using the bottom for wood storage, or ash containment/removal.
And two thermocouples it will be in the dome.
Again MANY thanks for your input!
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I am considering laying firebrick spilts and then regular size firebricks on top of those for the hearth. I am not sure if the extra mass will be needed for bread or not. I will be looking to do both pizza and bread in the oven. It seems to me the walls are 4" thick and to have an even heat soak the hearth would need to be four inches also.
How about laying the firebrick on its side like they do in bread ovens......that'll give you the thickness/thermal mass you're looking for.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Journeyman

Without the experience, I thought the trade off of splits under would be better than the extra lines that the side laying would give. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am also not sure if the extra mass in the floor is needed or worth it!
Thanks
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 10-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Journeyman

I'm about to electrify my brick oven and get it ready for the first Pizza! This maybe a bit different from the traditional wood fired ovens, but I am hungry and want PIZZA! I am not sure how to finish the bottom stand area to make it look a little more to scale with the size of my oven, any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Finally Started in Southbury Ct.-electric-brick-oven.jpg  

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Apprentice

Awesome...I love the design!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Journeyman

Not quite sure if I have too much thermal mass, It takes about 4 thousand gigga watts to heat up for pizza!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Journeyman

Updated Oven Blogs
June http://pulse.yahoo.com/_FCBDQW43KUTX...listPage=index

July http://pulse.yahoo.com/_FCBDQW43KUTX...listPage=index

August http://pulse.yahoo.com/_FCBDQW43KUTX...listPage=index

Sept. http://pulse.yahoo.com/_FCBDQW43KUTX...listPage=index

Oct. http://pulse.yahoo.com/_FCBDQW43KUTX...listPage=index

Nov. http://pulse.yahoo.com/_FCBDQW43KUTX...listPage=index

Dec. http://pulse.yahoo.com/_FCBDQW43KUTX...listPage=index

Photos:

Oven Blog:

Last edited by Aegis; 12-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Apprentice

Why thermocouples? I built my 36 oven about 18 months ago and I use a infrared thermometer but to candid I hardly use it at all. I do the burn, when the dome turns from black to white I know its hot enough. I push all the logs and coals to the side, wait about 20 minutes for the center of the floor to stabilize (temperature wise) and start putting in the pies. Some folks throw in flour to see how fast it turns black, so far I just eyeball it. The heat is so high pies finish in a few minutes, bread and rolls I do near the doorway.