Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Finally started

Build first, grout later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
What do most people do who are core filling, do you pour the concrete as a continuous pour between the cores and the hearth slab or do you till the cores one day nearly to the top and do the top slab the next day?

My guess is it is better construction technique to do a single pour as will be stronger, but not sure I can get it all done in a day? There will be roe that links both in any case.
Don't do more than you are comfortable with at a time. It will be more than strong enough if you half fill the last course of block then pour the slab later.
If you use a cement based board above the block you won't have to strip it later.

Enjoy your build.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Laborer

Slab poured, start building base this weekend. Might even take Friday off to get a head start!
Attached Thumbnails
Finally started-image.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Finally started

Gudday
Time to get out the hose and give that piece of concrete a good water. Soak the surrounding ground for good measure and cover with a little plastic or damp cloth etc. Anything with Portland cement in it cures not dries out. Curing damp makes stronger slabs. The humidities down and we have a breeze so keep it damp.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Slab poured, start building base this weekend. Might even take Friday off to get a head start!
Sounds like a great way to spend a friday off, looks like you're off to a good start. I really like the time capsule idea. I would make sure to put in an assortment of coins and put some paper money in a sealed plastic bag, some other ideas would be a few photo's of your pizzas?

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey1 View Post
Sounds like a great way to spend a friday off, looks like you're off to a good start. I really like the time capsule idea. I would make sure to put in an assortment of coins and put some paper money in a sealed plastic bag, some other ideas would be a few photo's of your pizzas?
Among other things we put in the newspaper from the day we sealed it up.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Journeyman

If only you could be around to see that being opened in a 100 years or so. That put a really cool twist on your build.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 11-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisdad View Post
Among other things we put in the newspaper from the day we sealed it up.
While it is not going to the day that it gets sealed, was going to put a copy of today's paper in it which will mostly be about the Melbourne Cup and who won.

Wet the slab down a couple if times. I'm away for a couple of days but have left a request with SWMBO to give it a wet down again tonight.

Last edited by mnl; 11-05-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Soak a canvas drop cloth or old sheet, then cover it with plastic.
Calisdad likes this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey1 View Post
If only you could be around to see that being opened in a 100 years or so. That put a really cool twist on your build.
Gudday
Whilst ripping out a wall in a house renovation I found a wallet, can of soft drink and a pr of pliers on a stud. The wallet had a paper driving licence paper bills including 1 and 2 dollar notes. It took us months to track him down to the next suburb and return his wallet. He was gob smacked it had been in the wall since 1973 and didn't see daylight till 1999. He did an electrical job at the house but didnt think he left his wallet there. We didn't except any money for its return but did drink a few beers with the old guy.
Regards dave
Sputnikmelon likes this.

My Build

My Door