Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Finally started

Thanks David. No brick laying experience so will see how I go and might use mortar on first course. With the trial stack, I seem to struggle with some if the tops of blocks not being level and a bit rough which looked like were the casing was when they were poured.

First of two sheets of reo for the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally started-image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Why a square A stand?
If I could give you something to consider. Why not a H with the two wood stowages on the sides . With your angle iron and 1/2 steel in the slab it will be plenty strong enough. You can never have to many wood stowages. If someone offers you wood you'll take it. I have the stand then a ready use stowage and 1/2 a 6x8 shed full
Just saying as I don't know how the stand fits into its position in your yard
Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Thanks David. No brick laying experience so will see how I go and might use mortar on first course. With the trial stack, I seem to struggle with some if the tops of blocks not being level and a bit rough which looked like were the casing was when they were poured.

First of two sheets of reo for the base.
Yes, you need to knock off those bits or they will stuff up your level. The blocks are tapered on the inside so they will release from the mould. The thicker walls go to the top side. This gives you a wider platform to put on either mortar or adhesive.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Laborer

Dave - the back side is up against the fence, therefore would not be able to access it. I though about a shape like the photo, however it would probably not get used anyway. I also have a slab around the corner that we use as a firewood store for the fireplace as well.

David S - thanks for the tip, I have been putting the thicker part at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally started-image.jpg  

Last edited by mnl; 11-03-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
With the trial stack, I seem to struggle with some if the tops of blocks not being level and a bit rough which looked like were the casing was when they were poured.
I did a dry stacked block base on one build just to see what it was like, and had the same problem. I had expected it though, masonry units are never perfect. No more dry stacking...if I build another cmu base, every course gets mortared. Unless it's a dry stone base of course.....

You can get yourself a fluted brick rub or use an angle grinder to get rid of high spots. Washers work too, but often times you will create a wobble, requiring more shims.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 11-03-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:20 AM
Peasant

Dave beat me to the suggestion for a second opening for wood storage. If the back is not accessible the second opening could be on the side. Can't tell for sure from your picture but it looks like one of your form stakes is higher than the 2x4. If so this will get in your way for sqreeding concrete. With the top of the form below surrounding grade you'll want to cut your sqreed board fairly short. Its nice to have all your ducks in row before you pour because concrete does'nt like to wait for you.
John
Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Just thought I'd add another trap for the first timer and that's getting that first layer square. It' takes just a minute but run a tape diagonally across the first block layer. Thats measure from corner to corner. If the measurement of those two diagonals aren't the same ,its not square. If you don't adjust it then it will come back later. I know of one good looking build that required 2 days of fancy work to hide the "out of square"in the top tile work.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Laborer

Thanks Dave, John and stonecutter. Keep the hints for first timers coming as that is certainly what I am. I was going to use Pythagoras Pythagoras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to check the square.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep...layman's terms (in Imperial numbers) 3'-4'-5' or 6'-8'-10'

Standard way to check square with a tape.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Laborer

What do most people do who are core filling, do you pour the concrete as a continuous pour between the cores and the hearth slab or do you till the cores one day nearly to the top and do the top slab the next day?

My guess is it is better construction technique to do a single pour as will be stronger, but not sure I can get it all done in a day? There will be roe that links both in any case.