Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Finally a design idea...but it will probably double my cost

Hey Lee,

You are correct about my project ballooning like a government program. But the difference is I will wait till I have the money to pay for it instead of just printing up a bunch.

I really like your portico there. It looks awesome! The way I see it, if I really want to be able to use the oven year round I need to have some sort of covering to keep me out of the elements. We get lots of snow during the winter time along with strong winds. I figure that with my design I can put up some simple canvas walls on the south side and hope that keeps the snow and wind at bay. We will see. Like I said above it will only happen when I have the money to pay for it and right now that is not the case. So maybe this winter will be spent planning more and more and purchasing materials little by little.

thanks for the pictures of your oven. It looks great.

Nate
Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Laborer

Nate, I see a few potential problems with your plan. First, placing it against the entire wall of your shop forever limits you linking the patio and shop by a doorway. Having a place in the shop to store wood and oven accessories would be a plus I would think. Also, splitting the counter in two then recessing it back away from the oven's opening will create functionality issues. In designing kitchens, for example, designers look for a triangle between storage area, prep area and cooking area with as few steps as possible between the three areas. Lastly, in your neck of the woods, knowing the prevailing wind direction should influence the design. So as I see it, creating an L shaped plan would work the best and placing the back against the prevailing winds, kinda like this sketch. Just my 2 cents.

PS I grew up on a farm in SE Idaho in the middle of nowhere halfway between Blackfoot and American Falls.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Apprentice

clofgreen,

Thanks for your input. Halfway through drawing out the plans I posted previously I considered placing the oven in the corner the same way you drew it out so now you have me reconsidering once again. I definitely like the way it opens up the area in front of the oven so I will have to look into that some more.

You are right, halfway between Blackfoot and American Falls IS the middle of nowhere.

Thanks,
Nate