Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Entry/landing brick to use?

Okay, I had to abandon my first plan of using full brick because my saw can't cut them in one pass, too tall, so I went with a half brick design and cut my first successful (I think it was successful anyway) Roman arch. The granite keystone was a bear to cut down and still needs some re-texturing, but I'm working that out. What a learning experience - yeah, see my off cuts?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Apprentice

Your arch looks terrific! Remember to account for the thickness of the mortar in the joints. I did a dry cut & fit also and didn't account for the mortar when I set them in place...caused a few choice phrases to be thrown out as the keystone no longer fit the space allotted.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, you have around 4 and a half linear inches of mortar joints in there you have not allowed for.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Apprentice

Thanks fellas, but I had kind of intended not to mortar the joints between the bricks, the arch supports itself, so I had initially planned on just mortaring them to the oven entry from the back, which would be hidden under insulation and stucco....however... I want that area bigger than I've initially planned (well, I am not much of a planner to be truthful.)

I'm more a work it out as I go kind of gal. SO - is there some standard for mortar to brick ratio I need to be aware of? I'd like to flare this opening a bit larger than the 21 1/2 inches I planned for - the oven opening is 20" x 13" so I'm leaving a jam for the door to set against, I thought if it tapered in from the opening, I could spread that a bit larger and make it easier to get that door in, so it doesn't catch as we move it into place because of a tight fit.

@Tscarborough - 4 1/2 linear inches of mortar is a bit more than I'd like to flare it - what thickness is the mortar using that figure?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Apprentice

You have 12-14 joints to mortar, and even at 1/4" mortar lines, that's 3.5 inches you have to build into it. You'll probably be closer to 1/3" lines when you get done, snd that may be the figure TS is using in his calc. But you can compensate by beveling the joint sides of the brick.

Last edited by azatty; 05-19-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Apprentice

Four inches is really only two on each side overall, I could also trim that first course down a bit if I get spacers in there and see it won't work afterall. I had initially planned on doing a double course of brick there, but I realised quickly that was beyond my limited masonry skill. I think I'd like to try a unconventional patchwork brick look to the base, using half bricks on end in a stepping stone/loose herringbone pattern. I suppose I should test that out and see what kind of mortar joints I need there and keep the joints all uniform thickness.

I have my soldiers all set now though, I'll have to do a little dome building before I come back to this 'problem' :-) I will compensate for mortar joints this next arch build though.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Standard mortar joint for brick is 3/8". In an arch that would be the inside joint. That joint size is based on several things, too esoteric to discuss here, but it is a good baseline to work from.

Generally, if I am going to cut units for the arch, I draw it out full scale and lay out the joints. If you are not going to cut each brick, then build up both sides at the same time, leveling across the units, and adjust (by cutting) the last 2 units before the keystone. If that works out to be a sliver of brick, i.e. less than 1/4 of a full unit, then you will need to reduce the size of the keystone.