Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Durock platform for hearth pour

I used unsupported Hardibacker over an ~18" x 44" span on my hearth pour with no problems. Overlapped the edges about 3" on each edge

Front part of the form in the picture is where I used the Hardibacker
Attached Thumbnails
Durock platform for hearth pour-wp_000037.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Master Builder

Gee... feeling a bit like I need to defend my statements here. You talk about over kill and psi loads is all well and good. I don't believe that in the original questions made any mention of the actual framing. Therefore if you stretch out the spans under your durock (that is being used in a way that was not intended) it will fail. If yours did not fail then consider yourself lucky. Durock when used on horizontal surfaces such as floors and counter tops requires a solid structure beneath the durock.

I for one without having the actual spans of framing would hate to make recommendations and tell the guy "go ahead it's all good" then have the thing fail as he fills his form. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I will tell you though that I get a lot of work fixing mistakes that home contractors and home do-it-your-selfers that don't understand how to do it properly. So my customers appreciate my so called overkill practices. I would rather have it over kill then to go back and explain later why the thing failed.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nothing wrong with overkill, especially when placing concrete. Massive overkill on the other hand is a waste of time and money. It is all calculable even if only roughly.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

In all my time in construction and many concrete pours I have never, ever heard anyone say:

"Damn, I guess I overbuilt my form work"

However, failure of your form work during a pour is a major pain in the ass. Not only have you wasted time and money, you also have to clean up the mess while working against the clock.

Last edited by Neil2; 06-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

True that. See that huge monolithically poured concrete structure in the middle? We did 500 yard pours every third day for better than 18 months, not including the spiral ramps or freestanding monolithic staircases. We had one blow out on an edge beam that set us back a week.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hobby...uston,+TX&z=18

Tags
hearth durock