Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: dome shape?

If you take to long typing your reply it times out and you lose the lot. Very annoying. Try to keep yor replies shorter.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Or......type it in Notepad and copy-paste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 AM
Master Builder

Hello Al "Brickie in oz" and david s!
This is first for many things--
will try to keep things short. Today I stripped the molds --surprise the parts look fine. But heavy to shuffle around.
Spend a lot of time cleaning the forms and putting them back together so they do not spring too far out of shape. Should have used more shortening for release agent.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 AM
Master Builder

#2 short reply..
Next time will probably use the motor oil/kerosene mixture but to put these forms to bed...I greased them up with regular automotive grease--at least it won't dry up too much and keep the forms in good shape.

Also picked up some angle iron to surround the structural base with. The regular temperatures make cement work outdoors not ideal---so will be making the base etc indoors and bring it outside only to do the firing to make the refractory set up. Then back indoors for insulation work and the rest....
Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 AM
Master Builder

#3 short reply
I have no firm plan for what the oven will look like when completed--just winging it. Can imagine a lot of different things but will choose something that is a challenge and fun. When I figure out the pictures thing...you will be able to see my creation with castable....probably a thing of beauty only in its' creators' eye. I have 20/20 hindsight vision--tomorrow I will think of what should have been done first...but today is OK. Anyway my working space is cleaned up again time for happy hour and to check out some flicks.
Mikku- finlander in Tochigi
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 AM
Master Builder

Hello logman,
A little about my dome design. Made the dome pieces off a pattern layed out on a piece of plywood and built successive levels up---using calculator from that trapezium calculator...the mold is the same profile as it is when completed and it is filled from the top of the dome...in your case you will have a hole above your styrofoam ball. When I stripped the forms, there was a huge difference between the finish on the inside compared to the outside. Inside was smooth and glassy--outside had the air pockets and other marks from water that gets absorbed on the set.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Master Builder

#2 logman--
I think that is just how this stuff looks---using non-metal forms and when you have to be careful with the vibrating. Too much and you make the aggregate settle out and too little lots of pock marks. My form is really heavy duty --1 1/2" 2x10 stock cut into the trapazoid shapes...it did not budge when the soupy stuff went in. With 3/4 and not a lot of outside bracing--might blow out. I thought of making another box around my entire form and filling it with sand when making the pour...after set...just scoup the majority of the sand out and finish up with a shop vac. Then absolutely no worry about a blow out and the only issue would be how much to vibrate to get a good casting. these are just my thoughts rattling around my brain... good luck with your casting!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 AM
Serf

Mikku,
thanks for the encouragement! I got my styrofoam dome over the christmas holdiays and cut a bunch of pieces for the outer trapezoid to surround it. Then i ran into a great deal on a quantity of medium duty tapered full firebricks. I'm thinking about a hybrid approach now....Ugh. The foam form is at least helpful to see what the 2 sizes of tapered brick would look like. I can't do alot as we still have snow in the ground, so i'm mocking up on a piece of plywood in the basement.