Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dome insulation - is this enough?

Here's how mine ended up. I installed three (12'x24"x1") rolls which covered 4" all around with 2" extra on top on a 39" dome.
Attached Thumbnails
Dome insulation - is this enough?-insulation.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Round dome , square sheets, cut the corners off the dome, use the triangles to fill in the entrance.
Regards dave
Yeah this is what I plan to do, however there will only be enough for half of the front landing.
I will have to use something else to support the front half.

I am pretty excited now though, given I have most of the materials and no stopping me from completing it.
The support bricks arrive today so bricklaying is the next step. They are sandstone imitation besser blocks so no render required.
I am also picking up the pre-cut reo bar for the floating slab tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Here's how mine ended up. I installed three (12'x24"x1") rolls which covered 4" all around with 2" extra on top on a 39" dome.
Looks good!
How'd you find cutting the blanket?

I got a whole lot of warnings about the fibres and mess created with cutting the calsil and the fibre blanket so not looking forward to that part:S
Old 02-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by applor View Post
Looks good!
How'd you find cutting the blanket?

I got a whole lot of warnings about the fibres and mess created with cutting the calsil and the fibre blanket so not looking forward to that part:S
Gudday
Yep cutting the blanket you can see the fibre being released. I would recommend use a proper respirator not one of those paper masks. You can get a full disposable protection suit. As it was a one off job and I knew how hot those things can get My Personal Preference was to not to use one.
I decontaminated in the downstairs laundry shower.
The respirator is a good to have through the job too, a lung full of brick dust is not the healthiest thing ether
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 AM
Master Builder

I resemble those remarks.

I also put an extra layer on the top half. John's 4 " layer With extra on top is how I would go next time. On mine I acquired 100mm strips. so easy to install came out really neat.

I also used 50mm shiralite and would do that again even simply to lock the dome in place. Before the blanket goes on. I am also getting really even saturation. But have nothing to compare it to. Inside outside top to bottom of the brick is all the same temperature to about 2 deg. Virtually no variation. So would do this next time as well.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-06-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I got a whole lot of warnings about the fibres and mess created with cutting the calsil and the fibre blanket so not looking forward to that part:
I followed Colin's lead and covered my body from head to toe including long sleeves, gloves, hat and a filtered respirator. This method proved effective at warding off the airborne-fibers as I never got itchy afterwards.

My approach was to drape the blanket across the top of the dome (east-west) all the way down to the support slab, and make a triangle cut wherever the blanket buckled on itself. This allowed me to press the blanket flush against the dome leaving no air gaps. I butted each criss-crossed blanket segment tightly against each other. For the next layer of blanket I went horizontally in a direction perpendicular to the first criss-cross layer and so on.

I envisioned this approach would be much more difficult with 2"-thick blanket, and was rewarded with how easy the 1" blanket was laid.