Old 04-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Does a pizza oven roof have to be domed

Sounds iffy to me. I believe the dome design seems to defy gravity because of the use of a keystone in each course of brick that locks everything together, so presumably they cannot fall inward easily. That is especially true in the upper courses as the bricks angles incline more towards vertical.

It seems to me (and I certaily could be wrong) that locking each course of flat layed bricks with a keystone provides no resistance to inward collapse in the mid to upper courses.

Where's dmun?

-
Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thread died? How about this idea - A fully round sphere oven that rotates around a fixed central plate on which the fire is built and pizza is cooked on - something like a cement mixer? The entire oven would heat equally and provide the ulitmate in radiant, infrared and convection heat to the food.

Naaaaa...... So much for thinking outside the box!

-
Old 04-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Laborer

Hmm sounds like a good idea and if a motor is added could make a stir fry without the stirring.

Sorry BTW havent been on for a bit things have been a little crazy son was on school holidays and I cant hide behind the pc.

Imran
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Master Builder

We had someone on the forum who built his oven chamber like you speak of and it collapsed and broke his heart. He had the dome completed and it all fell inside. You should check out this site http://www.earth-auroville.com/index and you will learn a tremendous amount about vaults arches and domes and why the are created in the method that they are...it would be very wordy to try to create a posting about it
Best
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhan42 View Post
Beaglestorm,

No i mean it would still be a dome but the bricks would step in to create the dome and the inside rather then being smooth would actually be brick steps.

I know you guys are thinking why on earth but as I said B4 I think outside the box alot and also think this would look cool but wouldnt be any good for naan breads.

Just a hypothetical question.

Imran
Old 04-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
You should check out this site http://www.earth-auroville.com/index and you will learn a tremendous amount about vaults arches and domes and why the are created in the method that they are...
Whoops, that link is 404. Try http://www.earth-auroville.com/. It looks like the menu "vaulted structures" might be of particular interest.