Old 04-05-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Does a pizza oven roof have to be domed

Any non-combustible material is fine for the exterior of your enclosure, I made mine out of brick, and in fact I didn't expose the edge of my slab, it's just one expanse of brick.

The concrete-block, wonderboard, stucco enclosure is inexpensive, thus widely used. I think a brick exterior is better, and lets you incorporate decorative arches for your entry and wood storage.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Laborer

Hagrid,

Thanks for that I will contact them tomorrow and see if I can go there and look at the stuiff beforeI buy it.

Talisker I have a Reece Plumbing around the corner from me I am suprised that sell Flues as they are a plumbing supplier but I will go check them out too.

Thanks for the Help.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Laborer

DMUN,

Yeah I figured it was more a from a cost perspective rather than anything else. I will be building my outer shell with bricks and then cover it with stack stone, Hopefully that will look spick.

I have been looking at this site and am finding myself with more and more questions. From what I can gather it is recommended to use a curcular base for optimal heating with regards to pizzas. Then I see in the Casa series Pizza oven and they have one that is an oval shape rather then a circular shape, isnt the ovel shape more like a barrell rather then a circiular dome, especially with those dimesions of43.2x62.9? If it is more like a barrel then why does it get hot so quickly

Ouch I have a head ache LOL infinite possibilites I see

Imran

Last edited by ikhan42; 04-05-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhan42 View Post
DMUN,

Yeah I figured it was more a from a cost perspective rather than anything else. I will be building my outer shell with bricks and then cover it with stack stone, Hopefully that will look spick.

I have been looking at this site and am finding myself with more and more questions. From what I can gather it is recommended to use a curcular base for optimal heating with regards to pizzas. Then I see in the Casa series Pizza oven and they have one that is an oval shape rather then a circular shape, isnt the ovel shape more like a barrell rather then a circiular dome, especially with those dimesions of43.2x62.9? If it is more like a barrel then why does it get hot so quickly

Ouch I have a head ache LOL infinite possibilites I see

Imran
Guys no comments re the Casa series oven and the oval shape. I havent seen one but from what the description is it sounds like a barrell rather then a dome. Anyone seen one and can comment.

Imran
Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 PM

We'll have to wait for James to comment on that. That's a HUGE commercial oven, and I think its more of an elongated circle than a barel vault or oval oven.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think the point is that obviously other shaped ovens work, you can cook pizza in a barrel vault (or so I've heard), but the round oven works better. For Pizza certainly.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Laborer

Okay I have been thinking about the Pompei oven and have another question, is there a reason that the bricks are cut in 1/2 is this due to the sheer amount of mass that would be needed to heat the oven therefore increasing the heat up time?

What my thought are and I am sure someone out there has probably already tried it and can give some feed back on this idea.

If a soldier course is laid in the circular pattern and then the next course is stepped out a bit and same done through every course. What the inside of the oven will look like if a Qbert game but there would be no motar needed inside. Is there any reason why this is not a good idea?

Has anyone tried it and can give some feed back.

I know it means more bricks and also means more weight but doesnt it also mean a sturdier structure ?

Regards
Imran
Old 04-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, cutting the bricks in half cuts down on the price of the firebrick needed and the length of time it takes to fire the oven to pizza temps. Whole bricks would be great for a bread oven in which you intended to do multiple loads of bread.

You lost me on the question about the soldier course and the subsequent courses stepping out. I'm having trouble what you're envisioning.

-
Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Peasant

I think Imran meant building a dome like a hollow pyramid. Thinking about it I don’t see any way it would be self-supporting and certainly no where as strong as an arch. It sure would look cool though. Ahhhh Q-bert… what fond memories.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglestorm View Post
I think Imran meant building a dome like a hollow pyramid. Thinking about it I don’t see any way it would be self-supporting and certainly no where as strong as an arch. It sure would look cool though. Ahhhh Q-bert… what fond memories.
Beaglestorm,

No i mean it would still be a dome but the bricks would step in to create the dome and the inside rather then being smooth would actually be brick steps.

I know you guys are thinking why on earth but as I said B4 I think outside the box alot and also think this would look cool but wouldnt be any good for naan breads.

Just a hypothetical question.

Imran