Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: DIY castable refractory

So we agree here.

I would not use it because- unpredictable qualities.

I think that pre-mix is actually cheap for what you are getting. If you do a small oven, maybe 2 or 3 bags! $75 wow---That is a bargain! Why screw around with homebrew? Even if it works--to some degree---don't see any price advantage.

Calling sand aggregate goes against everything I have ever heard--. Sand is fines.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post

Calling sand aggregate goes against everything I have ever heard--. Sand is fines.
All non-binding elements of mortar or cement are considered aggregate. Fines are part of graded aggregate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
So we agree here.

I would not use it because- unpredictable qualities.

I think that pre-mix is actually cheap for what you are getting. If you do a small oven, maybe 2 or 3 bags! $75 wow---That is a bargain! Why screw around with homebrew? Even if it works--to some degree---don't see any price advantage.

Gudday mikku
Your missing the point the ovens was complete in 2008 ..... Still working . I recon that fits the bill .
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Boy, I have to disagree again! Sand by no definition is aggregate!
Some useful links

pg 11 Aggregate Specifications
and Requirements

Construction aggregate

Pg 8Carbonating and Hydraulic Mortars
david s likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday mikku
Your missing the point the ovens was complete in 2008 ..... Still working . I recon that fits the bill .
Regards dave
Not missing anything...read what I said, I won't screw around with something with unpredictable properties when the real thing is not expensive!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I guess you proved the point. What a person "me" perceives as aggregate and what the government describes as aggregate are not the same. I guess the government is right. Sounds like a wise ass answer, but it isn't meant to be. Thanks for taking the time to present information that is more than someone's opinion.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Master Builder

Stonecutter,
If you were doing a project that required a castable refractory, would you use this homebrew recipe or buy the real stuff?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Master Builder

Cobblerdave,
If you were doing a project that required castable refractory would you use this recipe or would you buy the real stuff?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I guess you proved the point. What a person "me" perceives as aggregate and what the government describes as aggregate are not the same. I guess the government is right. Sounds like a wise ass answer, but it isn't meant to be. Thanks for taking the time to present information that is more than someone's opinion.
It's not only government opinion (only one of those links had gov affiliation), classifying sand as an aggregate is accepted and understood by masons and builders using cementitous materials.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 10-05-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: detail
Old 10-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Stonecutter,
If you were doing a project that required a castable refractory, would you use this homebrew recipe or buy the real stuff?
I have never given it much thought, mainly because I think unit masonry makes a superior oven.

But to answer your question, I would say it depends on who the oven is for.

For myself, I would definitely use a material I could make at home. My ratios wouldn't be quite the same as the ones posted here, for one, I would reduce the amount of Portland. I would probably make several different mixes before I moulded a dome.

For a client, I would use a bagged refractory product, something with a good reputation for quality. Unless they insisted on using a home made fire mortar to save a buck...then they would get a disclaimer and explanations of the differences, with pros & cons. And, I would only use it if I had a successful ratio and had tested it myself.

I would probably try to convince them to build with brick in either scenario anyway.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin