Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Different kind of foundation. Am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwass View Post
Thanks so much for the advice.

Well here's a picture of my lame mock-up so the wife could see what a giant oven looked like in the yard.

Created it in a matter of minutes with stuff lying around in my garage. Fastest oven build here I'll bet. Least functional oven though.
Looks like it will burn well ..... for a little while.

Chip
Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It seems that ppl are scared of the fact that these ovens get hot inside, hence the need to build them on the neighbours fence line.
They rarely get (or is that getten? ) hot on the outside if built correctly, so why do ppl build it so far away from the inside kitchen?

Mine is built 4 steps away from the back door (inside kitchen).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Al, many of us in the US have restrictive fire codes and must build 10-20 ft or more from any combustables, this sometimes puts our ovens a great distance from the house.

I was lucky in my case having no wood decking or other srtuctures within 15 ft and it is near the kitchen. The funny part is that where the oven sits is about the only place in my back yard it could have gone without being within 15 ft of something that burns.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 03-22-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Laborer

FYI: That place near the fence has already been ruled out as it blocks the neighbors view of something. I'm now much closer to the house and thinking of building right next to the deck next to the house, with a height capable of cooking from the deck.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Serf

I agree with Mr Virginia's assessment of the loads. While the idea of building an oven you can use from your deck is a practical approach, I think you would want to re-evaluate your foundation. Bye the time your through designing it, your foundation may resemble the Tower of Pisa more than anything else.
Naturally, leaning ( or wind load may need to be considered because of both height, weight and wind. Note: I am a rookie oven builder, but I have built many buildings over the years. Look around, your problem is not unique, someone has had to already done this. Perhaps you can borrow their engineering.

We're all crazy, so what's the big deal ?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Master Builder

Mr Virginia...LOL No worries the foundation is sound. I build stuff also...I even have a license that allows me to build in Virginia.

Please don't get me started about engineering and engineers. You should see the "engineered" plans that cross my desk. Enough said!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Master Builder

ronwass love the mock up.....think it needs some eyes and nose

I did a mock up of my 1st oven dome with scrap steel garden edging.....was mainly because I just had no idea on the dome arch sizing I wanted

Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwass View Post
Thanks so much for the advice.

Well here's a picture of my lame mock-up so the wife could see what a giant oven looked like in the yard.

Created it in a matter of minutes with stuff lying around in my garage. Fastest oven build here I'll bet. Least functional oven though.
That is Hilarious:O)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Check this build if you are thinking about a wood/timber foundation.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/my...tml#post118667 (My oven Plans)

Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Apprentice

Ned Kelly lives!! Giddy up